Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know which motor mounts will be strong enough to hold up to 4 wheeling cause the stock ones do not. I seen a pic of a set someone had but I do not remember who they where made by. Let me see pic's or manufacturer. LC, Northwest off road, ect. Thanks for any help I can get. <IMG SRC="smilies/eyemouth.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
Stock mounts with a chain to keep from pulling apart.

If you want to spend money, LC Engineering makes some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,010 Posts
i like the cheap alternative.

wrap chains around them! <IMG SRC="smilies/skull.gif" border="0">
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
30,419 Posts
i ran the lc ones. they work and i never broke them, however i thought the welds were cheesy. why doesn't somebody build a qualitity mount. arrgg!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Originally posted by cody_alexia_dacia:
<STRONG>anyone else?</STRONG>
Toyota mounts plus chains and they'll be hard to break:

Motor Mount chains

The chains keep the mount from pulling apart far enough to damage them, yet are loose enough to let them soak up normal vibrations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Originally posted by morpheus:
<STRONG>if you change the transfer case mount to the type that mounts to the bolts on the rear of the transfer case this will almost eliminate the flexing that is destorying the rubber engine mounts.</STRONG>

could you explain this a little more, I'm not sure I follow?

Milan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
Originally posted by Lemoore-on:
<STRONG>Stay away from the NWOR junk, I ripped em apart within three months.</STRONG>
really? I have NWOR ones but for my V8, I wonder if it is the same style basically? I can't see how these would brake since they are basically a bolt in a bushing style sort of like a spring in a spring hanger..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,489 Posts
Originally posted by FattyCBR:
<STRONG>
could you explain this a little more, I'm not sure I follow?

Milan</STRONG>

if you make a transfercase mount that uses a piece like this:



and mount it to both frame rails you've virtually eliminated the rotational force on the engine mounts caused by the torque. Consider the stock tcase mount how it sits under the tcase with a very narrow 'footprint' of how it holds the tcase. there is no way it can constrain all of the torque when low gearing is involved so the torque is transferred to the motor mounts which eventually fail. By changing the way the tcase is mounted to where it is mounted through bushings to both frame rails you've virtually eliminated the problem and gained several inches under your tcase also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Originally posted by morpheus:
<STRONG>
if you make a transfercase mount that uses a piece like this:



and mount it to both frame rails you've virtually eliminated the rotational force on the engine mounts caused by the torque. Consider the stock tcase mount how it sits under the tcase with a very narrow 'footprint' of how it holds the tcase. there is no way it can constrain all of the torque when low gearing is involved so the torque is transferred to the motor mounts which eventually fail. By changing the way the tcase is mounted to where it is mounted through bushings to both frame rails you've virtually eliminated the problem and gained several inches under your tcase also.</STRONG>

That's a slick set up <IMG SRC="smilies/smokin.gif" border="0">, is that 1/4 inch plate?
 

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
Joined
·
62,007 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,971 Posts
I have run several different mounts. I have a set of the LC ones and I agree the welding is poor on these. I sand blasted mine and rewelded them before trying them. I found this type of mount transmits too much engine vibration to the cab for use in a daily driver, but for a trail only rig it works well. With the stock mounts my shifters move around like a drunk sailor. I agree with David that some sort of support from the rear is going to greatly reduce rotation and if mounted with rubber won't cause cab vibration.

I don't like the idea of mounting the tcase only by the rear bolts but I have spent some time looking at ways to combine the standard "under the case" mount with some sort of anti roll device mounted to the rear bolts.
 

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
Joined
·
62,007 Posts
Originally posted by Chris Geiger:
<STRONG>I don't like the idea of mounting the tcase only by the rear bolts but I have spent some time looking at ways to combine the standard "under the case" mount with some sort of anti roll device mounted to the rear bolts.</STRONG>
To be perfectly honest, I am also looking in to ways to tie both in together as well...

But I think that is the beauly of these plates - it is just a starting point and everybody can build the reat to suit their needs - I think that is so cool <IMG SRC="smilies/glasses.gif" border="0">

But I am pretty confident that spreading the load out over 7 bolts around the case is more than sufficient to handle the load placed on it. I am sure some mathematical whizz could do the calculations based on # of bolts, bolt size, etc. and show this to be true <IMG SRC="smilies/smile.gif" border="0">
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,971 Posts
Yes your plate is great start. Add to that a "Bud built" type plate crossmember and some mounts could be the trick setup.

I was also thinking it may not need two supports to make it work. With my under the tcase mount holding up the tcase, I have been thinking of a single arm that comes off a plate like yours and then goes over to the right side frame rail and mounted with bushings. It could be mounted up high. It would not hold the tcase up, just reduce/controll rotation.

Another thought was if some one were to come up with a dual adapter plate with large ears cast into it, these could be connected to a custom crossmember.

[ 08-24-2001: Message edited by: Chris Geiger ]
 

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
Joined
·
62,007 Posts
Originally posted by Chris Geiger:
I was also thinking it may not need two supports to make it work. With my under the tcase mount holding up the tcase, I have been thinking of a single arm that comes off a plate like yours and then goes over to the right side frame rail and mounted with bushings. It could be mounted up high. It would not hold the tcase up, just reduce/controll rotation.

Have you looked at any Jeep CJ's lately? They have a similar (bot smaller scale) "torque arm" where the tranny mount extends over to the driver's side a few more inches where there is a set of rubber busings to control rotation of the tranny as a unit. Simple - effective.


Another thought was if some one were to come up with a dual adapter plate with large ears cast into it, these could be connected to a custom crossmember.

I was just thinking about that myself...

Maybe if/when Marlin or AA redesign their crawler adapters the addition of a few extra flanges with bolt holes would be a possibility...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,489 Posts
Originally posted by Chris Geiger:
<STRONG>
I don't like the idea of mounting the tcase only by the rear bolts but I have spent some time looking at ways to combine the standard "under the case" mount with some sort of anti roll device mounted to the rear bolts.</STRONG>

I believe someone sells a piece that supports a landcruiser transfer case soley by the bolts in the back of the tcase. So given the area that the transfer case would be supported by i think it will work just fine.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top