Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have doen the top end with all LC eng. parts,within 500 miles ago
now cause i was in a hurry i need to do rings.
so my question is,should i bore out the cylinders or just do what is necessary
to make the whole thing new and tip top shape.
this is a 86 runner that is a driver,rock crawler,snow wheeler and trail runner.
im all for practical,more than HP.
i want to keep all the benifits from a 22re but with a bit more power(witch i gained with the head) but i also like options.
so id like your opinion please,thanks for the thoughts

·
Registered
539 Posts
How many miles on your block? If alot you may have to bore due to the taper that the block has developed over the years. Plus the ridge at the top will more than likely break a ring if it is not honed down. Really a machinest is the only one with correct tools to answer your question.

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
If your rings are shot, more than likely it'll need boring out. (No replacement like displacement). Pull your head and use an inside mic to determine the bore dimensions. If it's beyond wear spec it'll need punched out. You're playing with yourself if you think new rings and or just honing out your bores will repair it.

Sometimes crankshafts need to be turned as well. Mic it for tolerances.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Just asked myself the same questions. I only have 139k mi. on my 22re. The guy before me ran it out of oil. So I deffinatly had to do a crank. While you have it all apart, Why not bore it? You don't want to put it all back together for another few miles do you. Hell no I didn't want to miss with it for the 300k that they are supposed to give me. It's costing me 500 bucks to bore, new pistons rigs crank turned, timing chain and all the gaskets. Couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I guess it comes down to what is your time worth?
See www.engnbldr.com for a rebuild kit for your junk. If you can get machine work done at a reasoanble rate - mainly turning or polishing the crank, and boring the block, you'd have a new motor essentially...

Toyota lower ends do fail.. Well, in my experience eventually they start using oil. The remans seem to be much worse than the standard blocks which can go over 200k without being touched.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
$500 bucks for all those parts and labor is great...is that assembled? great shop over here will do it for $350-$400 assembled but you provide rebuild parts.

·
Registered
556 Posts
getting a crank turned and welded back to factory sized journles shouldnt cost more than about 300$

The trick to haveing the motor overbored is to mic the new pistons (assuming the bore isnt destroyed; and yes pistons can be off by quite a bit; they are made fast and cheap) and then bore it according to the pistons. Also dont forget ring end gap!

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
getting a crank turned and welded back to factory sized journles shouldnt cost more than about 300$

The trick to haveing the motor overbored is to mic the new pistons (assuming the bore isnt destroyed; and yes pistons can be off by quite a bit; they are made fast and cheap) and then bore it according to the pistons. Also dont forget ring end gap!
My machine shop here won't do the final cylinder bore in the block until he has the new pistons in hand. He'll only do the rough cuts until it's clean enough to know what size the final bore will be. Then orders the pistons and does the finish bore to the accurate size of the pistons.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
$500 bucks for all those parts and labor is great...is that assembled? great shop over here will do it for $350-$400 assembled but you provide rebuild parts.
Thats Not assymbled. Parts and Machine work only. I'll assemble it myself. They wanted $850 for the whole lower end done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts