Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off im new to the forums, glad to see a very active 4x4 and toyota forum such as this. Now, my truck is a 1986 22R toyota 4x4 pickup... I searched through the Swap FAQ, and have a few questions about the basic procedure.

I'm sort of new to wrenching and there isn't a lot of information available to me when my dad's outta town, so i will rely on you guys to explain to me what's up...

I have a friend who's dad owns a pick and pull, and they do indeed have the boss 302 engine from an old stang. My questions are :

If i pull it, do an overhaul on the engine and decide i want it in my truck... what is the best way to go about doing the install?

Obviously i would wait till i get the FSM on the engine but im curious what i need to take into consideration?

What i have in my head for a complete engine swap to the 302 is this

New Rad / fan
Fuel lines
Electrical?
Body lift ~ mines already 4" lift i believe.
New tranny
New Tcase?
New driveshafts?
New drive pump and box?

That's all i can think of atm, my rear gears are 4:88 so i think it would be ok for me to run 33's then go to 35's amiright?

Tell me what ya think.. yes no... suggestions comments concerns :D

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
that would be a mover. i am not much on yotas but i would imagine you are looking at doing either a full drivetrain swap or go with a conversion companies parts. I just spent a few min on google and found Northwest

they seem pretty complete.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the link never thought to look for complete convo kits of the sorts... if i decide to go with a full drivetrain swap from a donor vehicle what would i need to know about what to get, as is my truck sits pretty high up (first vehicle) and it came stock at the height it is currently so do i need to worry about clearences? Anyone know a manual trans that bolts to the 302, i have yet to procure a link to one except the ones that come in the olds s-10's WC4500 or something like that lol thanks :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey colton I am in the process of a chevy tbi 350 its a 92 I picked up the wiring harness, tcc lockup kit, program chip and o2 sensors and all that from howell performance for around $500. If the motor carb or efi?

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you get the 302, get the wiring harness, and you might think about getting the trans. You could find a divorced TC 208 or 205. Or...find a Ford with a SB trans with a married TC. Other than that, it's just a matter of making brackets, cross members, custom drive shafts and getting it all to fit. For a rad, find a F-150 with a SB, or buy an aluminum one for the same and make it fit. You didn't state what year the 'stang was, but it will be a lot easier if it's pre FI and computer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He actually didn't tell me what year it was but the 302 is non-boss Carbed.

I'm still a little confused on how much space i need, are there measurments i can take to make it easier for people to help me ahaha?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the AA what are the pros and cons? a few buds i have say to avoid adapters. Dunno why but it seems like the adapter might harm my trans tcase would it not?

And if i decide to go with the 302, all i need is to get the AA and that's it? seems a little easier than i thought lol..

·
Premium Member
29,407 Posts
Adapters make everything easier, less parts you need to fab yourself. If you have some buddys who say they will hurt your trans, that may be true or false. Just remember that if you use the Toy drivetrain behind the 302 you will be putting it through a bunch more stress on a regular basis than it had with the 22r. Dending on the condition of everything and how you drive, it could last for a week or it could last for several, several years.

I have not done this specific swap, but in general a motor swap involves cutting where it touches on the fenders/firewall and welding (with a mount if you please) where it touches to the frame.

with your 302 being Carb'd, depending on your ignition setup, you have pretty much a stand alone motor and wiring shouldn't be a problem at all, just dont cut any of your current body wires.

There are several swap threads that do a pretty good job showcasing what needs to be done, for the most part any Domestic swap into a 2nd gen Toy will show you just about everything you need.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what your saying is, if i decide to go with a motor swap (99.9% chance i will) i'll need to find a vehicle to take the shaft tranny tcase and front shaft off of? what about differentials and shit like that (ima newb :( )

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
i hope your ready to break some parts. that engine will produce too much torque to those toyota axles. although there are many ways to strengthen your drivetrain, there will always be a weak link somewhere.

Either way, your looking at spending a lot of money/time into putting muscle into a toyota. would be great if you have the money to drop into the entire truck, not just engine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
no sorry i said that. I plan on beating mine to hell so im going dana 60's and everything gm for ease of fixing and parts and price of fixing parts. You can get away with toyota axles just as long as you dont abuse the hell out of it. Are you planning on a dd, rockcrawler or what? everything you do depends on what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want a DD that has a growl instead of a whine :D and some casual mudding, not crawling or anything like that... more DD and casual offroad than anything else

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
since most mudders go heavy on the skinny petal, i'd suggest upping drive-train then for-sure. For now, if you are set on this engine, put her in, and run the toyota axles into the ground.

like i said, there are mods that make toyota axles much stonger than a standard D44, but you gotta pay the $$$ to get there. maybe somebody can chime in that is more familiar with IFS since yours is an 86

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a question that may seem a tad offbeat, but if im going to do ALL this work on my dd, why not keep my dd as a 22r and buy a 79~ ford 1ton and do a motor swap on that? thoughts? i can see right away that i'd need to lift it 4" and a body 3"... i dunno... ahaha

·
Registered
21 Posts
so.....

Did this ever get started????
Thinking of hoing the same way but difrent?????:confused:

I Bought a 84 runner for the frame and some parts for my 88 pick up

Now looking for a 3rd gen body and a v6 trany r151 i belive it is???

So my set up would be preaty much???

84 frame
91 body
1971 302 i took out of a ford f100 (carb.)

hope you get started before me So I can ask you questrions

Good luck

Peach

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
the basic procedure with a motor swap is always pretty much the same. Getting a complete donor vehicle is always the easiest way. A carbed small block is probly the easiest swap as well because the motor only runs off one wire that goes down to the starter.
first you need to figure your aproach for motor mounts and plate the front half of the frame. It was originally designed for 120lbs of tourque. Then the new tranny crossmember and your mount for a divorced case if you go that route. Then your axles. Then rims for thoes axles, and steering setup for the front. Then fuel pump. Then gauges

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found a junk raided 454 lol im thinking it's much to big for my application... hopefully i'll find what i need and do the swap over the summer...

·
Registered
1 Posts
breakin axels

i hope your ready to break some parts. that engine will produce too much torque to those toyota axles. although there are many ways to strengthen your drivetrain, there will always be a weak link somewhere.

Either way, your looking at spending a lot of money/time into putting muscle into a toyota. would be great if you have the money to drop into the entire truck, not just engine.
Toyota axels are the same as ford 9' the only prob is busting ring an pinions I'm tryin to do the same swap but with full efi the trans is plenty strong enough as long as you have one for a v6 with the removable bell housing an northwasr has a full adapter kit for the in stall. If this truck is still ifs you may break a whole lot of cv axels that may be your largest problem

1 - 20 of 20 Posts