Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 1996 jeep grand cherokee with 5.2 liter v8 with its only purpose to be a drivetrain donor for my 1997 jeep wrangler that has a 4 banger I know that I am capable of getting the mechanics swapped over. I need to know if anybody has done this swap and just how big of a pain in the a** the wiring is going to be. Let me know any information you might have Thanks Justin Also my tj has a 231 with sye and 4 to 1 and want to put behind the cherokee drivetrain thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btt

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well first off you SHOULDN'T be using an older engine in a newer rig. Well unless it is a trail only rig.
Second the GC is not the best choice for a V-8 swap as the computer doesn't talk to the dash on your TJ like a Dodge P/U will.
Third you are going to have to get a 23 spline input for your 4:1 from TeraLow as you have a 21 spline with your 4popper.
Call this guy for more info http://www.backwoodsoffroad.com/

And last but not least, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471060
I just did mine.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
2 things, ist why is a bad a idea to swap in a motor that is one year older, tral rig or street rig. he never said what the miles were on either motor. 2nd how do u know he doesnt have 23 spline already. bottom line we need more info

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
in most states when doing a swap the motor must be same year or newer, and if newer but retain all emission crap that was on it the year it came from the factory.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I guess all those Waggy & J10 360's that found there way into CJ's & JY's were a bad idea, too....:shaking:

·
Registered
98 jeep TJ 609 axles
1,200 Posts
Monkeybutt said:
I guess all those Waggy & J10 360's that found there way into CJ's & JY's were a bad idea, too....:shaking:
In THIS case the donor engine is a year older than the recipient jeep, that's why.

·
Registered
701 Posts
ACHASE6002 said:
2 things, ist why is a bad a idea to swap in a motor that is one year older, tral rig or street rig. he never said what the miles were on either motor. 2nd how do u know he doesnt have 23 spline already. bottom line we need more info
Again because as others have already said if you want to stay LEGAL you have to have the same year or newer.

As far as the 23 spline issue he said he had a 4banger so he has 21 spline NOW and the V-8 drivetrain is almost for sure going to be 23 spline so he is going to have to change his input gear of his tcase and the only way to do that is to get one from Tera. Why do I know all this???? Because I asked all the same questions when I started researching my swap.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
With regard to SMOG legality, if the basic 5.2 used in '96 is the same as the '97 engine, then ALL that's needed to make the swap legal is totally configure the '96 as a '97. Technically, that means PCM, sensors and all other emissions equipment that the '97 had on it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
well just so ya know some places are easy on the smog laws, we put an early 80's chevy v-8 into my brothers late 80's Yj, and we've had no issues with the man, but again things are pretty leinient around here

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Bubba_Jeep said:
With regard to SMOG legality, if the basic 5.2 used in '96 is the same as the '97 engine, then ALL that's needed to make the swap legal is totally configure the '96 as a '97. Technically, that means PCM, sensors and all other emissions equipment that the '97 had on it.

Especially in Cal, you can't have an older motor in a newer Jeep. I am sure the refs would love to see your swaps.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
wildman4x4nut said:
As far as the 23 spline issue he said he had a 4banger so he has 21"

sorry, but wrong!!. if he has the rare but all so sweet 4 cly auto option he has a 23 spline 904. 99% of the the time they do have a manual 21 spline though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
motor swap

First things first I appreciate the interest. I live in the country next to superlift offroad park in Hot Springs Arkansas. I drink with the local law officers on the weekend. I am not worried about year model motors I just want the motor in my jeep. The Cherokee was basically given to me with the wiring harness having a couple of burnt wires, I have already fixed the wires the motor runs like a top. Those of you interested my Jeep is 23 spline I have done the math and it will bolt up, with a little persuation. I think I have put a total of 300 miles on my jeep in a year and half. I has built 44s, arbs, 7 in long arm kit, flat fenders, comp cuts, tr aluminum beadlocks, 38 sx's. I guess what I am saying is that I dont care about being legal. I am having fun hearing comments so lets hear some more Thanks guys Justin

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it is an auto any answers out there on my wiring

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put a 5.2 from a 96 grand in my 94 yj...wiring not hard, pretty straight forward, use the power district Burkina harnness from the yj and mate it with the motor harnness from zj. There's a body control module that runs off bus communications, make sure u wire that in the the grand Cherokee cuz it talks to the air bags without that module puts ecu in deathmode...I'll have to add a auto trans relay but that's it..... I ate forums cuz u ask a question, no one answers u and everyone tells u why not to do it all cuz they can't.
This forums way better then my dodge magnum srt8 forum, everyone there just tells u to buy a module or component to plug and play but no one is ever any help for the technicalities of how stuff works to figure out how to manipulate factory.....

They are right here though, the ecu when plugged into the obd2 port will show the year.....everything else should be the same, get the prints for 96 n 97 zj n just verify all the ins and outs for engine management land on the same terminals, if so, then get a 97 computer and they'll never know.....only other problem Ull run into is there is no fuel presure regulator on the 96 zj, its a bypass valve built into the sending unit, so get a fuel rail from a 94 with a fuel presure regulator on it and make a hidden split in ur vacume system somewhere and t it off to the regulator....I did my smog legal in the worst state, California.......wasn't that bad.....at all

1 - 17 of 17 Posts