Votes: 16 18.8%
  • Jeep 4.0L Motor

Votes: 12 14.1%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I think Im keeping the Jeep soo....I want to do a Motor Swap before I go to a University. I want it to be reliable and dependiable...I will buying parts all year round..Until I have all the parts to do the swap..So what motor & tranny and why?

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sell your 2.5 and buy a 4.0. Swap your upgrades over and sell the 2.5. Stock is usually the most reliable.

·
Registered
489 Posts
you cant just ask what type of motor to put in. those in the poles are totally different engines. what are you looking for. HP, torque??? once you know how you'll drive it, where you'll drive it most, and how often you can decide on what motor to put in. personally, i would go 4.0, or put in a 4.2. you can build a 4.2 or 4.0 to preform very well all around. Also, do you plan to just put one in, or are you going to rebuild. theres alot more to an engine swap than just gathering parts, do some research on it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kab5437 said:
you cant just ask what type of motor to put in. those in the poles are totally different engines. what are you looking for. HP, torque??? once you know how you'll drive it, where you'll drive it most, and how often you can decide on what motor to put in. personally, i would go 4.0, or put in a 4.2. you can build a 4.2 or 4.0 to preform very well all around. Also, do you plan to just put one in, or are you going to rebuild. theres alot more to an engine swap than just gathering parts, do some research on it.
I will drive in on the Road Most Likely. I will put around 450 miles a week or so.. Right now I 4 banger and I cant stay 65 mph all the time. Hills sucks..I jsut want a good motor. So far I thinking about 5.2 Magnum..

Anthony

·
Registered
489 Posts
my vote goes to the 4.0 or 4.2 hands down. espcially if this is a daily driver. putting in an LS1 or LS6 or w/e it is just for show in my opinion. A well built I6 can take most v8's. just get a stock rebuild with a mild cam for a I6. You wont have to worry about parts, there are so readily avaible that if anything breaks, you can have it fixed in a few days, not weeks. and there are no expensive addapters to buy either. keep it simple and reliable. j5 said before, stock is reliable and he's right.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
kab5437 said:
my vote goes to the 4.0 or 4.2 hands down. espcially if this is a daily driver. putting in an LS1 or LS6 or w/e it is just for show in my opinion. A well built I6 can take most v8's.
I don't think a lighter engine with 100 more hp and better gas mileage is "just for show". It is however a mucher higher $$$ way to go. You would have to spend some serious money on a 4.0 to get it to hang with even a stock 5.3L Gen III motor. Not badmouthing the 4.0 it just boils down to better technology and more cubic inches.

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I recently put a 5.2 Magnum in my 98 TJ and it's one of the best mods I've done to date.

·
Registered
603 Posts
While im a hardcore gm guy and would vote smallblock gen1/lsX platforms, my vote goes to the old inline 6. These things just chug along all day. Easy to keep running, easy to keep fueled, easier on parts. Outside of vehicle weight most of my freinds usually do better then i do (the ones running i6's anyway) mostly do to the fact that its so much easier to build tractable power with the i6. While my smallblocks have no shortage of power at all, they like to break the tires loose. Most i6 motors arent at all powerhouses, but they get the job done through a nice steady flow of torque.

You dont need 500 horse for a trail motor. Its fun, yeah, but your gonna break parts aplenty. However, if big power is your thing, any of the motors you listed are capable of the 500 range.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not looking for 500+ or anything..Just around the 300 range. Since, I want good fuel economy too..:D So far Im leaning on the 5.2/5.9 Magnum..Since it will be almost the same cost in swapping a 4.0L in. I will need a new tranny anyway. The 30RH will not work with any other set up..:(

Anthony

·
Registered
215 Posts
x2 on the 350

I know it's not on your list but a turbo 2.5 would be nice to see, I plan on doing mine when it blows.

·
Registered
399 Posts
YellowJeep39157 said:
So far Im leaning on the 5.2/5.9 Magnum..Since it will be almost the same cost in swapping a 4.0L in. I will need a new tranny anyway. The 30RH will not work with any other set up..:(

Anthony
This is not true. Although yes you will need a new tranny the only other thing you need to swap a 4.0 in is 2 new motor mounts, Radiator, engine harness only and computer.(I just done the swap). If you go with one of the others you will have to change most of your wiring, and also you will have to change fuel pumps and fuel lines, not to mention there will be some engine compartment modifications. You will also have to fab a new tranny mount, along with a new rear drive shaft, not to mention you will also have to change your gearing (although Im not sure). The easiest and quickest would be the 4.0...also will be by far the cheapest..

·
Registered
85 Posts
We are doing a 350 swap right now. Know that it is some planning, time, and money. To just randomly pick an engine...not so good. Do some homework and see which will fit your needs and go from there.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
the easiest and cheapest way would be to sell your jeep and buy one with a 4.0 in it already. I know several that have done the swap, and if you dont have your ducks in a row, its going to be a headache.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with biggin

– if you want a 4.0L sell what you have and buy a jeep with a 4.0. It will likely be far easier and cheaper then a 4.0 engine swap.

On the other hand, if you are set on a swap, go big or go home IMO. Go V8, but do some research and know what you are getting into. I have a TBI 350 in my YJ that I am very happy with because of the readily available parts and info for such a swap. I have also seen a couple of nice MPI ford 5.0 swaps – a bit more expensive than a 350 swap, but very cool.

I also love to see unique swaps – things you would never expect to see stuffed into a jeep… I have been pondering a Caddy Shortstar swap (V6 Caddy engine), or an Olds Aurora V8.

Just my 2 cents…

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Ford 5.0 HO from a 'stang.

Small, lightweight, and a superior fuel injection system that is very easy to modify as you decide to 'grow'.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
biggin said:
the easiest and cheapest way would be to sell your jeep and buy one with a 4.0 in it already. I know several that have done the swap, and if you dont have your ducks in a row, its going to be a headache.
My Jeep is to Heavy Modify to sell and buy one with a 4.0L..See pics here..

1 - 20 of 50 Posts