Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, sticking my motor back in the shop on Monday and was wondering what I could throw in there while they got it apart. I've been trying to re-search cams, but all the numbers and mumbo-jumbo just got me confused. Anybody know a good one for 22r carburation? Also giving them some new motor mounts to put in. Just replaced all cooling system. What else can I do while they have it apart? (keep in mind that this is warranty work and I will not be paying for labor, just any parts I want to add, Up to a reasonable cost!;) )

·
Registered
275 Posts
As far as carburetion is concerned, the Weber downdrafts don't offer much and are terrible for the trails. Ive got a set of sidedrafts that I'am runnign and I love em'. Once you get them tuned right, they make so much of a differnece. However, they are quite expensive. To get you a dual carb set-up with manifold and linkage runs right in the area of $1000.00. Your best bet would be to go with a header and camshaft. The better the motor breathes, the more power it will have. But on top of that, you have to realize that it is a 22R and even if you dumped thousands of dollars into it, the most you would probably see is like 150hp. And you say that you don't like cam mumbo jumbo, well you better learn it becuase laying down $150-$200 for something you have no idea about, could be a costly mistake.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've got DOA's cam and it runs well. I'd bet $$ that Downey, DOA, Crane, etc. would all give you the same improvement at +/- a few hundred rpms.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.