Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, 87 Winobago 27', it has airbags inside the front coils, ofcourse there rotten and dont hold air. What is the purpose, just comfort? And could I just put airshocks up front instead to do the same thing, or are they important and should source new bags. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
785 Posts
put in new air bags.
airlift makes them, and they are cheap, you need them, as your front springs arent heavy enough to keep your camber correct going down the road.
air shocks= bad idea on shock mounts.

·
FOF
2,864 Posts
Motorhome manufactures were using truck chassis exclusively back then, like the GM P-30 chassis. GM massproduced the chassis without knowing exactly what the final use would be, ie RV, UPS truck or roach coach. So they had no idea what the front axle weight would be makeing it impossible to put on the corect springs. Their solution was to put in realitively soft springs and the air bags. It was the responsibility of the RV manufacture to add a sticker telling you what was the proper inflation was.

You have two choices

1. Buy some new air bags and install them. (any RV shop has them)

2. (The best way) take the RV down and have the front axle weighed. Then purchase the proper springs for that weight and install them, doing away with the air bags all together.

The question is how much is it going to cost and is it worth it on a 87' Wini.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Friend of mine had a similiar problem on his motorhome.
Took it in to the dealership and found out the air bags had a lifetime warrenty. You might want to check if yours have the same.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have a 31' '88 Winnie
had the same issue, after several sets of bags ...did away with them and replaced the springs with the SuperSteer coils
I didnt realize until installing those the reason the thing was riding so poor was the shot airbags AND the coils were shot as well, it lifted the front end up about 2" and made a HUGE difference in the handling and sway as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts