Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever seen one while riding? A couple days ago, here in So Cal, a guy was killed by one and a girl was mauled in the face.
The guy was fixing his chain when the lion attacted him. :eek:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
JR said:
Anybody ever seen one while riding? A couple days ago, here in So Cal, a guy was killed by one and a girl was mauled in the face.
The guy was fixing his chain when the lion attacted him. :eek:
whooo, that doesn't sound too fun. i've seen maybe 5-10 at a state park down the street from my house when i've been riding. Usually off in the distance though. And i've had to fix my chain a few times too, i'll be looking over my shoulder next time i'm doin' that:eek:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Ya I saw that on the news :eek:

I saw a Mountian lion when I lived in Pacifica on Sweeny Ridge once and I thought it was a golden retriver......

In Az all thats happend so far is my dog got "jumped" by a coyote when I was riding my mountain bike, my pit bull tore up that coyote pretty good too.......... :D

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
I saw one last October right when daylight savings was changing. I was on a fire road and came around a corner and there was one loping along about 40 yard in front of me. It jumped off the side of the road. I debated riding past as I was heading out and back and by the time I was riding by the same spot, it was pitch black out. I was only able to ride about 4 mph up hill so I would have been an easy target. I carry a knife, pepper spray and a airhorn in my hydration pack now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That attack is getting pretty big news coverage even here in Kansas City. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I saw one on my driveway (Santa Cruz mountians) I thought it was a yellow lab, then it ran a jumped up a small ledge.
When it moved like a cat, I was pretty freeked :eek:

Let's just say that my 4 month old puppy wasn't allowed out for a while. (9 years ago)

My riding buddy saw one in Soquel Demo. (2 years ago)

They are around. I guess I never thought of one actively hunting a human. wow

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah, that made the news up north here of course. They're definatelly up in the Santa Cruz hills. Sh1t, that's how "Los Gatos" got its name, cuz there used to be a bunch around here at the turn of the century... 1900 that is!

My girlfriend saw one on the Los Gatos creek trail cleaning itself in a tree! haha, needless to say she turned around. They are suppose to be 'more' afraid of us, (adults anyway). Don't think I'd want to chance it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
never seen a mt. lion but have seen bears a few times. every time they just run off. luckily havent come across a mama and cub!:eek:

·
Registered
126 Posts
mt lions

I have never seen a mt lion, but I have seen tracks, and I know they're there. What scares me is how many times I've been near one on my mountain bike, riding solo unaware of the big cat that may have been keenly watching me.

When the attacks happened at Whiting Ranch, I scoured the web for information about mt lions and attacks.

http://users.frii.com/mytymyk/lions/attacks3.htm

Check the above link. Mountain lions are not the shy human-avoiding creatures everyone has been led to believe they are. They are vicious killers!

http://users.frii.com/mytymyk/lions/intro.htm

This link gives an overview of cats in terms of population and range. There are an estimated 31,000 mt lions in 12 Western States! They are far from threatened or endangered.

I have ridden the Cactus Loop trail in Whiting Ranch, so this incident freaked me out. Whiting Ranch park has a remoteness factor of zero. When you are riding in to get to other trails, houses dot the two ridgelines on either side. One entrance to the park is adjacent to a shopping center. Whiting Ranch does have several shaded ravines and rock outcroppings which are perfect places for big cats to lurk. The park also abuts the Santa Ana Mountains, which have a reported mountain lion population of about 200.

The So Cal fires of October 2003 may be a contributing factor to the tragedy at Whiting Ranch. Fires in the San Diego area scorched a lot of mountain lion habitat, so the displaced cats have gone to other areas, one of which is the Santa Ana mountains. The same wildlife corridor joins the Santa Ana mountains to Chino Hills State Park, and finally to the Whittier Hills. I have taken several solo rides in Chino Hills and the Whittier Hills--I'm re-thinking my attitude about solo rides in those areas.

I am going to get a big knife to tote along. I'm looking into the purchase of a gun, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts