Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have officially "finished" my first fabrication job for my buildup. I trashed the old steel gas tank in favor of a 12 Gal poly one. Here are some pics of the mount that I came up with.......

The frame is all made out of 3/16" x 2" angle. The tank will be held in place by a 3/16" diamondplate skidplate that will be bolted to the flange that I created with the bottom pieces of angle. I measured against my other frame with the stock tank still in it and looks like I gained about 3" to 3.5" of clearance.

Now I can get the frame painted and then start on the lift!

Kevin

·
Registered
252 Posts
looks great and very thought out

come on give us some specs on the tank, where you got it and how much :D

and get going on that lift and take some pics

this place has been boring for a little while :(

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I got the tank through a seler on ebay. I ended up calling him directly because I didn't want him to mount the fittings in it until I figured out how everything was going to fit in the frame.

Clicky Here

For the filler I ended up ordering this 2" remote filler from Speedway Motors. It should allow me to use the stock filler in the rear fender.

Clicky Here

The tank with a pickup fitting, return and vent cost $110 and the filler was about $30.

I am planning on getting the frame painted now and then I am going ot order up the RRO 6" delux perches and the U-bolts from them. As of now the plan is to get the lift in and then do the VW swap with my x-mas bonus from work. Once the chassis is all finished I'll bring the body in the garage for painting and such and by spring I should be ready!

Kevin

·
Registered
252 Posts
i'm in the middle of the vw swap myself and it's going ok
got the kit from www.acmeadapters.com and it's the best i know of
everything is going smooth with it i'm just taking my time and replacing alot of stuff that eats at my wallet!!

:D

keep the pics comin

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am planning on the Acme kit as well. I have a 1.6NA out of an '84 Rabbit hangind i nthe garage ready for the swap.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
If that pic is taken with the tank in the position it will be mounted, it will take FOREVER to fill it with the fuel entering the bottom...if it will fill at all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Look at your stock tank! On the stock the filler comes into the tank about 6" from the top. There is a vent line that goes up the filler to allow the air in the top of the tank to escape. I am going to be following the same idea except I am going to have a little larger vent line.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts