Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have officially "finished" my first fabrication job for my buildup. I trashed the old steel gas tank in favor of a 12 Gal poly one. Here are some pics of the mount that I came up with.......

The frame is all made out of 3/16" x 2" angle. The tank will be held in place by a 3/16" diamondplate skidplate that will be bolted to the flange that I created with the bottom pieces of angle. I measured against my other frame with the stock tank still in it and looks like I gained about 3" to 3.5" of clearance.

Now I can get the frame painted and then start on the lift!

Kevin

·
Registered
252 Posts
looks great and very thought out

come on give us some specs on the tank, where you got it and how much :D

and get going on that lift and take some pics

this place has been boring for a little while :(

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I got the tank through a seler on ebay. I ended up calling him directly because I didn't want him to mount the fittings in it until I figured out how everything was going to fit in the frame.

Clicky Here

For the filler I ended up ordering this 2" remote filler from Speedway Motors. It should allow me to use the stock filler in the rear fender.

Clicky Here

The tank with a pickup fitting, return and vent cost $110 and the filler was about $30.

I am planning on getting the frame painted now and then I am going ot order up the RRO 6" delux perches and the U-bolts from them. As of now the plan is to get the lift in and then do the VW swap with my x-mas bonus from work. Once the chassis is all finished I'll bring the body in the garage for painting and such and by spring I should be ready!

Kevin

·
Registered
252 Posts
i'm in the middle of the vw swap myself and it's going ok
got the kit from www.acmeadapters.com and it's the best i know of
everything is going smooth with it i'm just taking my time and replacing alot of stuff that eats at my wallet!!

:D

keep the pics comin

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Look at your stock tank! On the stock the filler comes into the tank about 6" from the top. There is a vent line that goes up the filler to allow the air in the top of the tank to escape. I am going to be following the same idea except I am going to have a little larger vent line.

Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.