Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I wanted to see some pics of how people mounted air tanks for their OBA. I am particularly interested in the ones that mounted them over their engine. Good? Bad?

Thanks

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
Since you have a 2.5L, I would put an electric fan on, which you can get for about $100 at CarQuest or PepBoys. You'll have almost a foot and a half of room in FRONT of the engine because you will be taking the fan shroud off. You'd be able to mount a HUGE tank there, thats where I plan on mounting mine.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i mounted mine directly above the rear axle. under the jeep. the rear end has smacked it a couple of times, but depending on how big your tank is, you may be able to get away with it. i'm moving mine elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
I don't know how much difference there is between a TJ and a YJ, but I mounted a small tank on the rear of the passenger side fender under the battery on my YJ.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Electric fan, you can scab on out of a junk yard from most any newer car and make it work real easy. I did and I got 2 electric fans for $10.....
Just some food for thought!

EEEEEEEEeeeeeeerr..........:beer:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I put mine directly under the rear seat UNDER the rig!

Never hit it once and never had any problems

I got the 2.5 Gal Kilby one and it fits perfect there

my .02

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I stuck my 2.5 gallon Kilby unit on my drivers side rear fenderwell inside the cab of the jeep. I like it there. If it were me Seth, Id stick it under the tub, on the drivers side, next to the rear driveshaft.
Scott
EDIT: Im under the GF's screen name.. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is my setup in a 4.0L 98 TJ. It's a custom made 1.7 gallon aluminum tank, 4"OD, .25" wall, 31" long. Fits perfectly in the space that my air-box used to occupy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I mounted mine under the tub directly under where the rear seat would be. My only concern with the engine compartment is that the constant changing of temperature would effect the pressure in the tank. Maybe that's a non-issue, but being uneducated in the physics/chemistry fields I decided against it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Dan84CJ7 said:
My only concern with the engine compartment is that the constant changing of temperature would effect the pressure in the tank. Maybe that's a non-issue, but being uneducated in the physics/chemistry fields I decided against it.
The heating is a non-issue. Assuming the pressure rises enough to trigger the safety valve (which hasn't happened yet), the compressor still fills the tank from empty in less than 30 seconds.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
If your interested I have a 1.75 new from on board air.com,

I mounted mine under the jeep..

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
If your interested I have a 1.75 new from on board air.com,

I mounted mine under the jeep..

·
Registered
268 Posts
An air tank would never survive underneath mine, so it's underhood. Rocks and stumps would snack on it. It would rupture and the sound would scare the piss outta ya.:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts