Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
gonna need a stiff spring rate...and yeah, not getting much shock damping.

tilting them in can have some nice attributes depending upon the setup...but i think thats overkill for any setup

are they the ranchos?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I think it's crazy too, but it's not mine. With everything I found on the web, the shocks are still 70% as efficient as if mounted at 90*. Would that mean that the coils are 70% as efficient (i.e. must be 143% as stiff) as if mounted at 90*?

I know the dual tri-4 link helps cut down on body roll, but this seems like it would add a ton of body roll back into the system.

And yes, they are the Rancho coilovers. :barf:

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
When the suspension is fully compressed the shocks will be damn near parallel to the ground! As the shock compresses the angle will increase and the theorhetical spring rate would decrease. Not good.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It keeps them under the rig, but its SHITTY performance. You can bandaid it with valving, but it will never perform very well. A good rule of thumb...don't lean shocks more than 15*. yeah you can do it...you can play the guitar with your feet but that don't make it a good fuckin idea.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
should ramp like a champ

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I bet the guy decides to change it after one trip around the block.
you would hope so..... :eek:

i had my air shocks mounted forward at about 40* and it was really hard to get the spring rate acceptable.... mine are now pretty much straight up and the tub is hacked up.

there is virtually no resistance to bodyroll with those shocks/springs like that

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Springs like this will drastically reduce the roll stiffness. A body roll of 30 degress will only compress the springs an inch or so.
no joke, if that. body roll of 30* might move the body side shock attachment point 1", which then might compress the shock less than that. should be interesting.

am i missing something, or are the shock res's mounted to the axle? or just hanging there.

ballin' wheel spacers too.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
That's retarded. However, I have my rears mounted in and forward fairly drastically and after a couple years of wheelin I feel like this configuration really helps with climbs. When you start going up the feeling from the driver seat is like the coils are pushing you forward up the ledge. That's the best way I can describe it. The downside is when you go downhill the ass end feels like it's coming over which is easily counteracted with a rear winch or short center strap.

My setup

On another note, JRs old rig really had those bitches laid over...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7148746&postcount=2

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
That's retarded. However, I have my rears mounted in and forward fairly drastically and after a couple years of wheelin I feel like this configuration really helps with climbs.
The difference though is your springs are still out from the CoG pretty far. So you're only getting a certain percentage of the spring rate, but at least it's still doing something to prevent roll.

The setup originally posted will have the same characteristic as yours when the axle is moving vertically, but as far as roll it's effectively a monocoil as was said. Stupid fucking design IMO. I really doubt the AntiRock is going to be very effective at all, because while it'll help keep the roll down, there's not going to be any damping for roll. So I can see it kinda swaying back and forth as the AntiRock acts as a big torsional spring in the middle.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Oh yea, I was in no way saying the top setup was worth a damn. Total waste IMO.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
As already mentioned, the body roll will be BAD. And an antirock wont save it. Its going to corner like a chair with all 4 legs nailed together in the middle. Just tell the guy he's fucked and wish him luck.

If you get a chance pick up some of the drugs he must be on, do it and mail me some becasue they seem to do the trick, he first bought rancho coilovers, then chose to mount them like that.:shaking:

Ian-

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
What's bad is it looks like a decent 4 link under there.

·
Nose to grindstone
8,178 Posts
Wont the shafts bend on those shocks mounted at that angle?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wont the shafts bend on those shocks mounted at that angle?
Why would they bend? They will only bend if they bind on something, at least he has the shock ends positioned correctly.:laughing:

Otherwise it is all axial loading, crappy loading, but still axial loading.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts