Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok,

I already built my own bucket after breaking my case the other day... here's some pics of the bucket:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294160

My question is what to do about the mounting of the bucket.

Should I go with the mounting scheme I have sketched here in black, or red?

I looked at the pics of all the other buckets on the market, and they just reuse the stock mounts on the frame. I already cut those off cause I need to move the case a little bit, so I get to start from scratch. Is the black adequate, or do I need to got with the red?

·
Registered
608 Posts
a quick compromise......use just the center black support on the input side and use just the red outers on the output side.....i would use poly bushings to attatch at the frame.....they run about $13/joint......pretty cost efficient.....

·
Registered
113 Posts
foley...you should check out brent,s at trail tough,i bought one of his,its stronger than shit ....now that i know what i know i would build it myself but the r&d is what your paying for ...right?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Foley;
Run a single cross car mount, just be sure to use good bushings between the case and the mount. the only thing I would add is sometyhing to help control rotational forces from the drive shafts when you bind up the tires on something. I say this 'couse mine moves around alot when I load it rock climbing, and it has bolt thru poly bushings all around.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
You don't want your case mounts too sloppy or too rigid either. If it is too rigid the shock loading will start breaking things, whatever the weak link happens to be (and your gears look a little weak :D). One mount per side is what I would use.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Thats why I am using the bolt thru poly bushings on my mounts.

Weak gears....yup...busted my 4:1 gear set a few months back....old welded type. gotta save for another set of billet gears now....I'm thinking some 6:1 gears though.

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it done already... it uses 4 bushings, they are setup somewhat like stock, but with two on the driver's frame rail. The busings are about 16" apart on the passenger's frame, and about a foot apart on the driver's frame.

Bushing stackup:

Washer
3/8" thick poly bushing pad
frame mount
3/8" thick poly bushing pad
Washer
T-Case Mount

A 1/2" bolt goes through all of that vertically.

It seems pretty beefy, haven't gotten to try it out just yet though.

mike

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Got any pics of the finished product? The suspense is KILLING me :D

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not currently. I'll try and snap a couple this weekend and post them up. I got too antsy to go drive the thing on sunday night when I was installing the case, and forgot to take any pics.

It's not really much to look at... a couple pieces of tube, a couple pieces of box, a couple brackets, and some booger welds... all carefully combined to protect a t-case :)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I like the mounting system.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Looks awesome! I like the tubing bent to clearance the exhaust. Keeps everything high and tight. The bucket looks sweet too! You build that trailer? Nice work :beer:!
Allan

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually got more clearance on the exhaust than I planned. I need to re-route it anyway, so It'll end up sucked in nice and tight to the chassis.

I didn't build the trailer, just re-decked it off an old frame that had rotting wood on it. I was going to do a steel deck, but it was only $250 for materials to do a wood deck, vice $500 or so for steel.

thanks for the compliments.

mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts