Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Trailer Park Boy
18,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm making new hangars for my rear leaf setup and wanted to know if i should keep it in the stock location which is outside of the frame rails, or make it a bit narrower and put'em right under the frame rails..

IMO wider will be a more stable ride and less side to side movement, but narrower will yield in a bit more flex..

Opinions?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
My 14 bolt is mounted directly under the Jeep frame and can you say MAD FLEX... BAD MANNERS....the Choice is yours.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
It really depends on how and where you drive it. If you plan on towing anything at all, the wider the springs the better. If you drive it on the road a lot you might still like the wider springs for stability. You could try using a longer spring mounted on the outside of the frame to get the flex you are after without as many stability issues. I personally like the spring under the frame with a strong shock mounted far out on the axle. This will give you all the flex and get rid of most of the stability issues.

·
Banned
7,673 Posts
What kind of, "strong shock" would you recommend outboard? I don't think really any shock except maybe those new skyjacker 20" travel ones through the bed would work outside the frame rail on my truck and give acceptable flex.

·
Registered
126 Posts
72cj5 mentioned it, but run a longer spring outside the frame to get the flex and stability desired. I run durango springs on my cj w/ 14-bolt rear outside the frame and unlike ItsaCJ6 I have "MAD FLEX" AND "MAD Stability" :D but seriously, it is a good set-up. this also allowed me to mount the spring hanger flush (almost) with the frame rail up and out of harms way. Having those rock catchers is another drawback of mounting springs under the frame, however, you have to have the ability to obtain the amount of lift desired.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Lots of people outboard CJ fronts in order to run full width axles, almost nobody does the rear.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I've got a trail rig, I put em under the frame. I also used longer springs for more flex. Guess I'm just screwed.... :roll:

·
Registered
126 Posts
"Lots of people outboard CJ fronts in order to run full width axles, almost nobody does the rear."

I do :D That does bring up a good point though. Everyone outboards springs up front when running "full-width" axles and no one complains about the lack or loss of flex, but when outboarding rear springs is mentioned, it's the first thing that everyone says :confused:

I have not regretted my decision. Go for it.................

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
msvance said:
"Lots of people outboard CJ fronts in order to run full width axles, almost nobody does the rear."

I do :D That does bring up a good point though. Everyone outboards springs up front when running "full-width" axles and no one complains about the lack or loss of flex, but when outboarding rear springs is mentioned, it's the first thing that everyone says :confused:

I have not regretted my decision. Go for it.................

Ok, brainiac. The reason that a lot of CJ guys outboard their spings in front with full width is because we have narrow frames up front and can NOT put them under the frame. Then again, I guess we could just put our springs on TOP of the pumpkin.... :rolleyes:
Guys with YJ's and newer Jeeps don't have to outboard because they widened the front part of the frame in 87.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a CJ. mine are ouboarded front and rear. So..... I fully realize you can't keep them under the frame. i'm just saying that nobody complains about mounting them wider up front (realizing you don't have a choice) so not sure why sweat it in the rear. the lack of flex is minimal, added stability may even be minimal but is more noticeable than "flex" loss in my experience. However, mounting everything higher and out the way is definitely meaningful and was the deciding factor in my case. If not worried about it, just do whatever is easiest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts