Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After making my cage, I can no longer use the jump seats. I came across a rear TJ seat and plan to mount it in the back of my fj40. I know that there are plenty of you out there who are more creative than me so I am asking for ideas on how to mount it. I have a simple CHEAP idea of using wide flange I beam to jack the seat up 4'' so the kids arent chewing their knees on the trail rides. The only thing I dont like about it is it just looks bulky. Any ideas?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried to send a pic of what I am talking about but the file is too big.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I personally am a fan of the Samuri seat because it's very little, fits "two" "comfortably" but can actually fit two, and folds forward and out of the way. Only draw back is vinyl in a very 70sish pattern that could bring you back to your disco days. But still a good seat methinks. Also thin, folds forward to rest up against front seats....

·
Registered
437 Posts
TJ rear seat

I just did this and I used the factory brackets after deciding that they would work better then the booty fab ideas I had. You will still have to fab a L bracket to work with the rear seat brackets. best of all my oldest can ride in the back with plenty of leg room. He is 6'2 and only 15.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rusty, score the flip-n-fold TJ brackets and use them.

Jim gave me the stock TJ brackets which do allow the seats to fold and tumble. The only problem is that the TJ has a drop down in the tub of about 5'' where the feet go. This prevents rear passengers from biting their knees while riding. I had Logan, my 7 yr old, sit in the seat with the brackets directly on the floor and he was not comfortable at all. I believe the seat needs to come up about 3-4'' to be somewhat comfortable. Uncomfortable kids are unhappy kids.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did this and I used the factory brackets after deciding that they would work better then the booty fab ideas I had. You will still have to fab a L bracket to work with

You are saying that the front bracket is sitting directly on the floor and your 15 yr old giant has leg room?:eek:

·
Registered
437 Posts
You are saying that the front bracket is sitting directly on the floor and your 15 yr old giant has leg room?

Yes, that is what I'm sayin. With the front bracket bolted to the floor the bottom of the front seat cushion is about 4 inches, the top of the cushion is 11 1/2 inches. I mounted it as far back as possible and from the front edge of the cushion to the back of the front seat I have 19 inches of leg room. HTH:D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
YOU HAVE A TUBING BENDER WITH DIES FOR SMALLER STUFF THAT YOU MADE NOLEN'S FENDER WITH NUH? BEND UP TWO SIDE BARS THE LIFT OFF THE FLOOR 4", TIE THE FRONTS INTO THE MIDDLE BODY MOUNTS, AND PUT TWO HOLES IN THE FLOOR AT THE REAR. THROW 2 CROSS BARS WITH PLATES TO BOLT UP THE TJ BRACKETS TO AND YOUR DONE...OR YOU COULED EVEN GET SEXY WITH IT AND EXTEND THE SIDE BARS TO THE VERY BACK OF THE TUB AND MAKE YOURSELF A NICE LITTLE STORAGE CUBBY FOR COLLER AND GEAR. YOU COULD EVEN RAISE THE CUBBY BEHIND THE SEAT TO THE HEIGHT OF THE WALLS, AND INTEGRATE A TUBE TAILGATE...

IF ANY OF THAT MADE ANY SENCE.... AT LEAST IT DID IN MY MIND :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
LIKE THIS... CAN YOU TELL HOW BORED I AM TO DRAW IT UP? HAHAHA FORGIVE THE SOME OF THE ODD LINES. AND I MESSED UP DRAWING IT, I'D HAVE THE TAILGATE HING AT FLOOR LEVEL NOT AT THE BENDS.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Fab up a tool box/storage and mount the seat on top of it, rig it where you can raise the lid to access from the rear when the seat is in the folded/tumbled position.
Butch

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
OOOH, OR CHECK THIS, YOU CAN MAKE A SLIDING TOOLBOX LIKE A MINATURE OF MUSTARD DOGS, BUILD IT INTO MY DRAWING TO SLIDE OUT FROM FROM UNDERNEATH THE SEATS, AND THEN YOU HAVE ALL 3 IDEAS IN ONE :D YOU COULD HING THE FRONT SEAT MOUNTS AND HAVE PINS IN THE BACK SO THE SEAT CAN FOLD FORAWRD AND THEN UP LIKE BUTCH SAID, AND BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE SLIDING TOOL BOX THAT WAY TOO...

:smokin:

·
Registered
286 Posts
A HEEP seat!:confused: :confused:
C'MON... You can think of something other than a [email protected]#P.
In the early style Cruisers were the side mounted seats that were longer than the later... I took one and flipped it forward... made a couple of brackets off my cage and looks sweet! (Also flips up just like in original mount for cargo space) ++++++++++++++ it's a Cruiser part!, Keep it Real
Please, no [email protected]#P S#!T:mad:

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
bruter said:
A HEEP seat!:confused: :confused:
C'MON... You can think of something other than a [email protected]#P.
In the early style Cruisers were the side mounted seats that were longer than the later... I took one and flipped it forward... made a couple of brackets off my cage and looks sweet! (Also flips up just like in original mount for cargo space) ++++++++++++++ it's a Cruiser part!, Keep it Real
Please, no [email protected]#P S#!T:mad:
:rolleyes: Relax dude. That is just silly. The seat works great in a Cruiser, plus it was free.

Rusty, I really don't know how big your kiddo is now, but when I sat in the back of mine with the seat in there it was plenty comfortable with the stock brackets.

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
What a coincidence... I just picked up a TJ seat for my daily driver.

I think I'll use Butches idea and make a storage box under it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I just put one in my 40 last month. I used both the front and rear stock brackets. The fronts are mounted directly to the floor and the rears are mounted to a kinda bootified bracket mounted to the wheel tubs. I'll see if I can get some pics for you this weekend. My 5'9" brother sits back there all the time and has no problems beein comfy. I have a small toolbox mounted to the floor at the very rear next to the tailgate. My seat slides all the way back to the box. It's kinda tight to get to the fold and tumble release but it works. I also bootified a piece of L accross the rear under the seat that I attached the rear lap belt to. My daughter's 2 so she's still in a car seat which is why I only needed the one lap belt in the center. Once she get's older I'll be mounting a 5 point harness back there for her.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input guys. I am gonna have to go take another look and see how it feels right on the floor. That would be the simplest way to mount it, but I really like the idea of it being raised a bit so I can put a toolbox under it. If I were to use I beam for the left and right sides, I would only have to weld a plate across the front and back of the Ibeams to close it in,slap a lid on it and have a storage compartment. I have about a week or so before I have to have it mounted so I may just do a quick fix for now.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
C'mon now, someone has to have pics of their rear seat installations.........anyone care to post them?:D

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Eric said:
C'mon now, someone has to have pics of their rear seat installations.........anyone care to post them?:D
Rusty was :smokin: something when his 4' kid did not fit in the back of his Cruiser on a TJ seat.

It does not need a writup. Just get the STOCK brackets and bolt them to the floor :laughing:

Here is mine folded forward with the tool box in the floor.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts