Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here mounted their windshield to their roll cage? Currently I have a solid 8 point cage, a good front bumper, and a stinger up front. The plan is to tie a front exo into the stinger and the interior 8 point cage (plan in blue). Currently im having a problem with the window frame flexing for obvious reasons. I want to brace the A pillar into the window frame, but I think a better looking, stronger, more practical thing to do is tube the a pillar and tie it into the cage and gusset it. If I do this my windshield would have to be mounted onto the exo/ tubed A pillar. I would probably do 2 coats of polyurethane under the glass to get a nice thick gasket. Im wondering if I hit the side of the exo or front of the cage if I will break the window. I realize it will brake every time I roll, and more than likely if I hit the A pillar on something.

Anyone ever seen this or have any personally experience?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Have you tried posting in the Cherokee section? Might have better luck with all the guys there w/ Exo's on there XJ's

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cant afford to, it sees too much street and winter driving.

I figured it looked like a woods truck with that cage. Ya, try the Xj section...they have lots more exos to use for reference.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
In the future, you need to search before you come into this section and ask about Windows...Nobody here has them,

A TON of the TJ manufacturers make cages that will retain the windshield, google or go look at my build for a visual if needed...4 bolts, two flanges, wala!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have searched, and its not a tj, so that looking at Poisen Spider TJ cage kits isnt really going to help me.
Im looking for into on anyone who has done this, I dont care XJ, CJ, WJ, JK... this fourm has more Jeep people and more chopped rigs, which is why I came looking here.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I have searched, and its not a tj, so that looking at Poisen Spider TJ cage kits isnt really going to help me.
Im looking for into on anyone who has done this, I dont care XJ, CJ, WJ, JK... this fourm has more Jeep people and more chopped rigs, which is why I came looking here.
I think what you are asking is will the "uni-body" flex enough on impact with the exo to distort the windshield enough to break it? Or will an impact send enough "energy" down the tube to break it?

I don't know but it seems to me if you keep the windshield in its original frame and then just weld the frame to the tube it would be okay. but hell I have no windshield on my TJ so what do I know.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't use glass, use Lexan. I run a Polyshield on m TJ and it works great as far as holding up to impacts and multiple rolls.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
The XJ exo guys would prolly offer little help. Most of us keep the window in its factory location. However, If you fish threw the " Bad Ass Cherokee" thread you'll find a white XJ 2 door on 42'' Iroks who has a front window that folds down like the wrangs. That would be my suggestion.

If you wanna mount it to the cage, it may flex enough to break it in current form. Build or use a stock mounting style frame and figure out how to secure it to the cage. With enough precautions, Im sure you can make it work.

MQ79- Lexan is prolly not a very good choice for him. Although I agree it would be better than spider webbing glass, he drives on the street and in weather and the Lexan window would stractch and quickly go to shit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts