Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Union Fab Works
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, did the big move last night. Went a lot smoother than i thought it would. The place we moved it from was quite back in the sticks. Got lost 3 times trying to get there, due to complete lack of road signs or helpful roadside citizens.

Had originally planned to bolt some 5' long 2x12 rough sawed oak timbers, so came prepared with a ton of all thread in various sizes, bolts, washers, portaband, all tools needed etc. But after taking an extra hour to get there, decided to see if we could just get it to slide up the bed on them without bolting. Worked like a charm.

Used a 24' rollback, and held it down with chains and straps, plenty of both. Can't imagine something like this coming off the bed around a turn. I don't think we would have even stopped to recover it, just keep going.

Some shots of it during transport...

Backing it into the shop. Of course, we are putting it in the bay that has the narrowest door... ha. It was tight.

·
Union Fab Works
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This will be it's final resting place, against this wall. spot is almost level to start with, so that should make set up fairly easy.

Once the grip let loose, it came off in a hurry, a bit scary actually. Wasn't sure where it would stop... But here it sits, exactly where it stopped. I have a few hours of cleaning to do. Then we will spin it around and push it back against the wall there.

And as a follow up to my other thread introducing the lathe, here is the tooling and chuck parts it came with...

Can't wait to get it powered and fired up... phase converter time.

·
Union Fab Works
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ha, i get it now, sasquatch / barefoot... thats where my shoes were covered in oil / coolant from walking on the rollback, then running out of a 20mph slide down the greasy thing into the shop. Or, that might be where i was running from it as it was coming down once it got moving...

either way, it took me over an hour to clean up the damn floor. Lathes are meant to sit level, when you start putting them at a 30 degree angle, they tend to start oozing the oil of life out of them.

·
Mr. Personality
10,289 Posts
Looks good man.. I'd say you got a pretty good deal with all the extras. It is big, nothing wrong with that. Bigger the better if you have the room.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I dunno man, I think you need a bigger lathe :flipoff2:

you know what they say, you can make small parts on a big machine but you can't make big parts on a small machine:D

·
Premium Member
2,953 Posts
They might be very light but both the holders and the inserts themselves should have a # on them.

And buy the way MMmm..Rodeck..:evil:

all the toolholders i have are in teh pics above.... what else do you need to know?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts