·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I Read the rear up front FAQ, didn't say it helped move axle forward
Read the Toy FAQ too
Done my search
Project 85 4Rnr 4 Hwy & Rocks
I'd like to know what is the best way to move front axle forward 2" and what is involved putting rear springs up front if is suggested? Pros's/Con's

I want to fit 36ers with minimal body trim, prefer no body lift but still searching if I need a 1"or 2" BL for a 4.3 install?

44044 springs don't move it forward, it just appears that way. Besides I want longer springs Not shorter

If rears are 6" longer than stock fronts 45 ? .. then are the frnt back shackles being relocated further back to accomadate the longer leaf?
Do you just re drill the for Pin bolt ? guess you could re-drill perch and add a spring 1" frwd re-locater, but thats lame!

any expeirences with this?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
rears up front faq has all that info... :confused: rears up front move the axle 2" forward. all i added was a 5.5" shackle. i'll add a drop hanger down the road though too. i've got rears up front, 63s rear, and 3" body lift and run 35s. with bumpstops i wont have any body rub, but right now i can rub em at full stuff.

BTW, looks like you got all the info you need after your same post in the 'rears up front faq' post... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
toy4crawlin said:
I Read the rear up front FAQ, didn't say it helped move axle forward
Read the Toy FAQ too
Done my search
Project 85 4Rnr 4 Hwy & Rocks
I'd like to know what is the best way to move front axle forward 2" and what is involved putting rear springs up front if is suggested? Pros's/Con's

I want to fit 36ers with minimal body trim, prefer no body lift but still searching if I need a 1"or 2" BL for a 4.3 install?

44044 springs don't move it forward, it just appears that way. Besides I want longer springs Not shorter

If rears are 6" longer than stock fronts 45 ? .. then are the frnt back shackles being relocated further back to accomadate the longer leaf?
Do you just re drill the for Pin bolt ? guess you could re-drill perch and add a spring 1" frwd re-locater, but thats lame!

any expeirences with this?
Thanks,
51'' rears are 89-95, 21.5 front front eye to center pin
48'' rears are 79-88(89 4runner) 20.5 from front eye to center pin
45.5'' 79-85 fronts, 22.5 from front eye to center pin

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks B Welds ! :beer:

So I guess people are using 48" (79-88) rears or the 51"'s ?
what about back shackle, use a boomerang?

I like that lift in the orange runner
I heard you sell those kits?
front $?
rear $?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,400 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
toy4crawlin said:
Thanks B Welds ! :beer:

So I guess people are using 48" (79-88) rears or the 51"'s ?
what about back shackle, use a boomerang?

I like that lift in the orange runner
I heard you sell those kits?
front $?
rear $?

???thats whizzy's 4runner??? he lives in canada and herds goats and sheep...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just put rears up front on my junk 2 weeks ago. It is an 83. I did the drop hanger in the front and made 6 inch shackles. It did move the axle forward 2 inches. I run 35's and have NO tire rub problems. My body style is less forgiving in the front than the later ones. I also put Chevys on the rear and I keep asking myself "Why didn't I do this sooner?" It rides great, flexes great, and is just all around kickass. It is easy, cheap and I highly recommend it just like everyone else who does this swap!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
loco.eng. said:
I just put rears up front on my junk 2 weeks ago. It is an 83. I did the drop hanger in the front and made 6 inch shackles. It did move the axle forward 2 inches. I run 35's and have NO tire rub problems. My body style is less forgiving in the front than the later ones. I also put Chevys on the rear and I keep asking myself "Why didn't I do this sooner?" It rides great, flexes great, and is just all around kickass. It is easy, cheap and I highly recommend it just like everyone else who does this swap!!!
What rear springs did you use? Did you add anymore leaves to the pack or is it just the stock rear pack? Did you move your shock mounts forward? How much lift did you get with the RUF/chevy combo?

·
Registered
589 Posts
You have to add more leafs to the rear pack or it will be waaay too soft. A lot of people use leafs from the front pack. I made mine from 4 sets of 2WD Toy p/u rears. Cut them so they are graduated long to short, 6 leaves in each pack. Work great.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Axle forward

I do not know what you mean that the 44044's dont move the axle forward. I make a new front spring hanger xmember, out of 2" box. The two inch box is mounted so the front edge is 3/4" in front of the stock front xmember. And mounting the 44044's, my axle is 2.75 inches forward of stock. I made sure that I did before and after measurements. The clearance between the fender well and the rear of the tire is excellant and definitely well forward of stock. Of course the 44044's are stiff. My next move will be to remove a leaf to gain better flex.

·
Registered
236 Posts
remember if the truck is a pre 85 you will also have to change to an ifs steering box and cross over steering

·
I LOOOVE ROCKS!
1,608 Posts
I'm running rear Pro-Comp 4" springs up front, which match up perfectly in height with the rear Chevy's and 3" blocks. The Pro-Comp springs were not modified at all, besides removing the overloads and rotating the degree shims. I'm fitting 36" Iroks with very little fender trimming, and I couldn't be happier with the ride, flex, and durability. I've posted a few pictures of this setup in the past, so if you do a search you should see what it looks like. Moved the front axle forward significantly, at least 2 inches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts