Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, yes, I said HACK job :D Moved it all forward as far as I could. I mocked most of it up when the cab wasn't on, and figured it'd work anyway. Well, it needed some trimming to the front core support :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I am in the processes of doing the same thing. I have been contemplating making the box straight up and down and then using a flat pitman arm.

Bones, in your situation do you think that if the box was mounted straight up and down with a flat pitman arm you would not have had to cut the radiator support but still have the box forward enough?

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would have been close I think. Maybe just some BFH work. I also had to just grind on the body mount to get it to line up, I didn't have to cut it out an replace any. I may patch it all back in to make it look better, but it's not really an issue with me I guess

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, no body lift either. That would have reduced the amount fo trimming. Vova had to do some, but not as much as I did.

·
Registered
115 Posts
springs?

Are you running leaf springs on it? Just curious what set-up you are using to move your box that far forward.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
yup.. had to do the same to mine the other day, but I had to cut 3/4 of my bodymount to make it fit. now its time to reinforce it

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Bones wait until tomarrow and i will show you how to get the pitman arm where you want it :flipoff2:

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: springs?

bunk85 said:
Are you running leaf springs on it? Just curious what set-up you are using to move your box that far forward.
:confused: Yeah, just your standard rancho 44044 springs

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rockota said:

DAYUM, Boy!

How far forward do you think that is?
I think it's around 2.5" ahead. I can measure off the donor frame I have tonight to see where the stock holes are. I was shooting for 3" since in stock location, my big chevy end hit the tie rod, plus I want to move the axle forward an inch, so I went for the max I could and hope I come out alright.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I will be doing this soon with the old All-Pro Hysteer with in mind a 4.3 will be in there later.

What's the key to knowing what angle to mount box?
is it ?just enough that the pitman arm will miss the frame when turned? and close in line witth steering shaft angle?

What'a guys using for extending the shaft?

thanks

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
I like to position the box as far forward as possible and as high as possible on the frame. (My box on the 4runner looks just like Bones' pictures) Basically just keep moving the box on the frame and clamping it with a large clamp until the pitman arm just barely clears the frame and and the main steering shaft and pitman arm stud is as high as possible to maximize clearance between it and the leaf spring.

This is what we are doing on "Project Blu"

Of course not having to deal with the body mount makes life a lot easier since the front will be tube!!!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
toy4crawlin said:

What'a guys using for extending the shaft?

The shaft has plenty of overlap, just stretch it as much as necessary.

·
savage
1,973 Posts
I'm going to add these pics in here in case anyone else tries to do this.

The front hanger is moved about 3" forward and about 4 1/2" down w/toyota rear main leafs mixed with a set of 4" lift wranglers. It's just about the same amount of lift as the 4" wranglers in the stock location which I think is about 6-7". The entire left body mount and core support had to be cut out. The Hi-steer is Sky with a flat pitman arm, the arm clears the frame by about 1/4", Caster is somewhere aound 7 degrees. shocks are mounted in the stock locations and will max (just barely) in both directions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Cool setup. Thanks for posting. I'm In the mdst of doing something similar and looking for the best way to wrap it up. I'm shooting for a 3" frame extension/2" drop with my existing ap hanger mounted on it. Trying to locate a set of 51" rears to use for the mains.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts