Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard not to brace the steering box when moving it forward because of undo stress at the ends of the brace, Now I know people are rounding the plates so you have no straight edges for it to transfer to. I am just going to get Allpros tubes and bolts for 20 bucks. and use that. rather not even mess with plating.

Should I just move it with no brace using factory style mounting. or throw a brace on it. Got to go about 2" . Is there plenty of slip in the steering shaft for it to be moved. and not need some type of extension. I still have to check for slip in the engine compartment. but for my body lift the only slip I found was in the cab under the steering column.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
yes there is plenty of slip.

i would brace your frame though. even if you don't weld it to the frame it will keep the frame from buckling and ripping your steering box off. there is a lot more force applied through the frame from the steering box.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i have a 2" bodylift and didnt feel safe with the amount of spline left on the shaft slip areas when also moving the box forward. i just got a piece of pipe and welded in while retaining the factory collapsable portion and slip splines...im plated from the bodymount to the front of my shock hoop and sleeved the bolt holes...you have to trim the radiator core a bit and dig out some metal on the actual body mount....

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How far forward are you Paul. I thought it was a good bit.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
I'm as far forward as I can go. I think it was what? 2"? Can't remember. I can measure tonight. I still need to add the plate to the inside of the frame. Both are 1/4 plate and different lengths. Sleeved as well. I'm sure I'll have to cut the radiator support some as well as the body mount. Haven't mounted up the box yet though to see how much.

Attachments

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
JamisonWorkshop said:
How far forward are you Paul. I thought it was a good bit.
im just like chris, the bolt hole on the front of the casing is right against that body mount..........

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sure is. I guess that is my project next weekend. Then I dont have to worry about any steering clearance issues.

I am suprised at how well the steering is aside from a little sloppiness compared to the ifs. No death wobbles.????:p

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I moved mine forward as far as I could,plated and boxed in with 1/4" and sleeved. I made my plates and after I got it all done I think I need a little more plate so I think I'm gonna change it a little or just add a little more plate.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts