Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can it be done? On my 86 xtra cab i have the chevys and was wondering if it can be moved forward. With the chevys i can just put the rear hanger in stock location? But i want to run double shakels. agh.

Nick

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
stop and thing about what you are asking?

is it made out of metal? can you cut,weld and fabricate? of course it can be put anywhere you want it. maybe you should spend some time doing reserch about how diffrent wheel bases will efect your handling characteristics of your rig. then consider what kind of wheeling you do and make some sort of educated desicion about what wheel base is going to best suit your needs.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
well there ya go. this sport is about a lot more than just driving your rig around. learn to build stuff.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nothing like cutting, welding, torching, plasma cutting, only to find it isn't what you want. So you start all over again. Boy, gotta love it!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehe =) One thing im worryed about if i move it up, it may hit the frame when i flex. It would be under a part of the frame that is lower than the stock location. Im sure you guys know what im talking about. I just suck at explaning.

Nick

·
Registered
171 Posts
Originally posted by camo:
<STRONG>stop and thing about what you are asking?

is it made out of metal? can you cut,weld and fabricate? of course it can be put anywhere you want it. maybe you should spend some time doing reserch about how diffrent wheel bases will efect your handling characteristics of your rig. then consider what kind of wheeling you do and make some sort of educated desicion about what wheel base is going to best suit your needs.</STRONG>
Camo, can you point me towards any good threads, or tech. articles that further explain the pro/cons of different wheel base lenghts?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
do a search. if you don't find what you are looking for post a question and ask. sounds like a good discussion to me.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I've thought about this a bit on my longbed. Here's how it looks to me -

The frame has clearance to move the axle forward about 6 inches, but the gas tank would need to be moved, or if it's a longbed maybe using a shortbed tank would work.

Long wheelbases climb better and are more stable at speed. Short wheelbases are more maneuverable, but not as stable. The Toy pickup shortbed and 4Runner seem to be a nice compromise between the two.

·
Broke Bastard
4,117 Posts
I have an Extracab on a standardcab/shortbed frame. I am Lengthening my Wheel Base by a few inches. about 1.5" in the rear and 2" in the front. Chevy springs and probably 44044s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts