Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a few weeks of moving into the Portland area from Duluth Minnesota. I'll be working at Insituform. Just looking to see who might live out here, where I should look for a place to stay and live, and what there is to do out there (sounds like lots). I like fishing, hockey, wheeling, biking, snowmobiling, dirtbikes/atv's, camping, and hunting. Hopefully I can continue to do these things!

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
I'm a few weeks of moving into the Portland area from Duluth Minnesota. I'll be working at Insituform. Just looking to see who might live out here, where I should look for a place to stay and live, and what there is to do out there (sounds like lots). I like fishing, hockey, wheeling, biking, snowmobiling, dirtbikes/atv's, camping, and hunting. Hopefully I can continue to do these things!
I am assuming you mean Portland Oregon? The only address I could find for Insituform was off Portland road in Salem and actually looking at the map it's actually Brooks Oregon. You'll be about 30 miles south of Portland so I wouldn't recommend living there, I'd be looking more in the Salem area. I would NOT recommend Woodburn, but Silverton, Keizer or Salem would work. Salem had some nice areas and some really shitty areas, but I don't know which is which. If you don't mind the commute Molalla is an option as well. It's a bit more rural, lower housing prices and has a "small town" feel. It get's you closer to the foothills of the Cascades for all of the above recreations you mentioned. Also, your right at the Molalla River corridor, which has tons of mountain biking trails.

You're in luck for Hockey. Portland is the home to Winterhawks, which play in the Western Hockey League. They were national champs two years ago and have taken the western conference the past two years. I am not a huge hockey fan, but really enjoy going to a game from time to time.

Regarding what else there is to do, well pretty much anything you want. Any and all Snow sports, the beach is only a few hours away. Portland has more microbreweries and strip clubs then anywhere else int he world. Just be aware, living in the valley is boring as far as weather goes. It's rainy and grey most of the time and weather is mild. Our average temp is right about 55-58 degrees. What's really annoying to people like you is when we get an hint of snow, pretty much everything shuts down.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah Oregon Portland. Insituform is opening an office in Portland and their yard is in Salem. I don't really think it matters too much where I live as I'll be traveling for work.

Thanks for the information! I'll take a look at those places.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Having been to Duluth a time or two and having lived in MN -- unless you are stlightly insane --- After a year or so here you are going to wonder why anyone still lives in the Upper Midwest :grinpimp: We don't have 'storms', we don't have tornados, it rarely is below freezing for more than a day or two, we have REAL mountains and a REAL ocean, he have a 'big' city that isn't as big as Minneapolis/St. Paul., you are only 30 miles from the 'woods' at almost any point in metro area, we have public land that is OPEN... All very nice traits, especially considering where you are coming from - :flipoff2:

For a place to live, if you need to be between Salem and PDX, look around Canby, Wilsonville, Brooks, Kiezer... really anything south of Tualatin all the way to Salem.

You should be able to find all of the activities that you want to do. You can do your outdoor stuff all year here and not freeze to death. You won't need a snow plow or even a snow shovel - toss that parka in the goodwill pile and get a fleece for the winter. WooHoo!!!

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
besides all the hipsteers portland isnt bad....best food in the U.S.(food carts will keep your lunches occupied), most and best BEER!!! and thats no generalization, wheeling, surfing and skiing is never more than an hour away...tons of music lots of badass bluegrass and rockabilly going on these days. lots of fine dinning and more and the best taco trucks handsdown (on the westside)...
if looking around portland, you can find houses with decent lots on the east side. but if you like the suburbs head west to beaverton/rockcreek area

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I'm down with the Westsiiiiide.....:)

20 min west of Portland of hwy 26 puts you a hour from the beach, an hour and a half to Mt Hood, 10 minutes from forests and gravel roads, and most importantly........, 20 min to TSF to go wheelin!

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
I'm down with the Westsiiiiide.....:)

20 min west of Portland of hwy 26 puts you a hour from the beach, an hour and a half to Mt Hood, 10 minutes from forests and gravel roads, and most importantly........, 20 min to TSF to go wheelin!
Pretty much says it all. Love the PDX area!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm excited! Though I love northern mn, it doesn't have mountains per say. Lots of cool outdoor things up here, but I feel like I'll love the Portland area. I've been looking at apartments in Beaverton. I'd prefer to be on the mt hood side of things to be in the area of outdoor things more. But maybe there is cool stuff on the Beaverton side too? Eventually I'd like some land and a small house. What about living in Vancouver WA? Or north up there? It doesn't matter as far as work is concerned because we pay taxes in the area we work, or that's how it was explained to me.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Traffic in and around PDX sucks at rush hour. Try to live in the same general area that you have to drive to for work.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
IMOP the west side is nicer than the Eastside.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I live in ne Portland and I like it. I can be in downtown in 10 minutes, airport in 5, walk to super market/ restaraunts/ pub. It takes me 45 minutes to get to Browns camp. I think you would have to be crazy to live in the western suburbs and work in town, the traffic is a joke.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I guess a lot depends on what type of area that you like or are used to living. I grew up in a rural forested area (40 acres) up 15 minutes of gravel roads on a dead end road and not able to see the closest neighbors house. This was still only 30 minutes from Downtown.

I now live in town with houses all around me.... But I have a 1/4 acre double lot with a front and back yard, flowered landscape, room for six cars in the concrete driveway and a small stand alone shop for the crawler.

I think you should do a short lease or rental. If you spend a bit of time checking out the areas I know you will easily find a area that will fit your needs and personality well. Things are just so diverse here with the urban growth bounderies that we have.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the insight! I'm going to get there with nothing lined up as far as a place to stay is concerned. I'll have my camping stuff with and some money for a motel. I still have yet to get all the details of where and when I'll be there. I'm leaning towards Beaverton area though after looking at a crime map, west side seems to have less issues as far as that is concerned. Ill certainly post when I know a little more on when/where I need to be there.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts