Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
SOS on MSD install

Hello... Peps Ive read this whole thread and got my 86 samurai running
With the MSD 6A... But still don't understand where the factor tac input is so I can use it with the MSD tac output... I couldnt use the violet and green output MSD wires, so went with the white wire output. My samurai came stock carborrated so computer

·
Registered
2 Posts
thank you for repyling sir... so then both the white MSD wire and the tach MSD output wire on the end of box are connected to the same brown wire on samurai?

·
Registered
101 Posts
something to add that i didnt see coverd and snuck up on me.(i should have known better) is that on most of the MSD ignitions there is what looks like alittle black dial on the side of it that has a screw in the center. well its not a dial. remove the screw and you will see 2 small wires on the inside. this is how you select 4/6/8 cylinder mode's. for a 4 cylinder you have to clip 2 of those wire that are color specific and i will edit this with pics to help.

to make it clear im using a MSD 6AL

so here how it go's

*with cutting no wires you get 8 cyl operation

*with cutting only one color specified (RED) wire you get 6 cyl operation

*with cutting 2 color specific(RED & BLUE) wires you get 4 cylinder mode

CYLINDER SELECT
Note: The 6A, 6T and 6TN do not require any modifications to run on 4 or 6-cylinder even-fire engines
The Soft Touch Rev Limiter that is built into the MSD 6AL, 6BTM and 6ALN is programmed for operation on a 8-cylinder engine. If you are installing one of these units on a 4 or 6-cylinder even-fire engine, the ignition must be modified. This is easily achieved through the cylinder select device on the side of the ignition. To program the unit:
1. Locate and remove the round black cover with a single Phillips screw.
2. There are two wire loops, a Red and Blue loop. Refer to the chart in Figure 2 to determine which loop to cut for your application.
3. After cutting the loop(s), turn the wire ends away from each other so they cannot come into contact. Install the cover and screw.
Note: MSD offers Ignition Controls for odd-fire 6-cylinder engines: 6A, PN 6246 and the 6T, PN 6446.

on the top you can see the housing that looks like a dial. this needs the screw removed to gain access to the wires.

http://image.musclemustangfastfords.com/f/10579121/mmfp_0809_09_z+1989_ford_mustang_gt+msd_ignition.jpg
again i should have know this considering iv been building race cars and motors since i was a kid. but posting this on here makes this alittle more dummy proof. lol.

great write up by the way

·
Registered
146 Posts
installing the box on a carbureted engine is not rocket science. the sam/track/kick distributors are hall-effect magnetic pickup types, so they can trigger anything. just hook it up like the diagram says. You must abandon the condenser (the second wire on coil +) or you'll have problems.

pay attention- select the your vehicle's configuration from below, and follow those tips.

-get switched power from either Blk/W wire that previously was connected to coil + OR the distributor pickup. they are the same circuit, spliced upstream, to IGN ON and START ON. run your main pwr and gnd directly to the battery. trigger and coil connections are straight from the diagram, too easy.

diagrams:

MSD box to magnetic-pickup distributor:

wiring notes for samurai:

everything clear as mud?
I have the msd 6a (6201) and msd coil. I have installed it as layed out on page of the 10 instructions. I get spark (when i do the coil check) but thing won't run. Went back to "stock" ignition, runs (poorly, why i was trying the box). Reading through this post i wasn't sure if the gm "trick" was required with just the newer models or older models. I have an 88 (actual build year is 87). But since it wouldn't run I thought I'll try the trick, well with the "trick" I get no spark at all. I was noticing guys with similar years saying they were having trouble. While cranking I was noticing the LED flickers, then has a long off gap then flickers... Am I not getting a good trigger?

·
Registered
146 Posts
So I'll post my fix that was given to me on another forum to get the box to work for my samurai as I've noticed some of the posts for help as well as mine went un-responded to. So for any lurkers looking for answers. You won't use the vio or grn (magnetic pick up)at all. Attach the MSD white, to the Sammi brn/wht, & the sammi blk/wht back to a 12v+, with key on. (this is to power the original Sammi module) You will also have the small MSD red to 12v+, with the key on. Mine is an 88 that was carb'd but is currently running pane.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MSD ignition install writeup

Hey LittleBlackSambo,

I have a MSD 6a box to install on my 86 Samurai but looking at the photo and diagram yo provided there seem to be some mix up. In the diagram you are using the green and violet wires but in the photo you provided it clearly stated that those 2 wires are not used.

I wanna do this install tomrrow...can you confirm which guide to follow??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
Suzuki samurai MSD IGNITION AND HIGH VIBRATION COIL

Hey guys wassup im new to this forum and i know this thread is dead but i want to revive it! Im planning on installing brand new msd 6al with rev limiter ignition box and msd high vibration coil. My reasons are for better acceleration and the low rpm idle (i heard of 600rpm) i idle now at 2k rpms cold start. And i would love better acceleration on this thing since its my daily driver......

P.s. My samu is a bone stock 1.3

·
Registered
62 Posts
Please revive this. I'm having way to much difficulty installing an MSD 6AL-2.

I've followed the books Hall effect, your instructions, even a few answers through out this thread. I'm getting more than upset.

I've seriously been contemplating selling mine not running its became so aggravating. These wiring gremlins are too much

·
Registered
62 Posts
So I got my samurai to crank and start.
Here's what I did.
Big red - positive battery
Big black - negative battery

These next two are in the same wrap
Orang - coil positive
Black - coil negative

White - brown wire from distributor
Red - black/white wire from distributor while also connecting to black/white wire that was previously to distributor. From what I understand the black/white wire is a 12v wire when key is on.

Problem: I had the samurai running for maybe 20+ mins then it finally just died down I'd start it a few more times it would run for a minute then die again and now I can't get it to start at all.

Is my black white from the key being on not getting consistent power, when I turn key on the msd light flashes then stays off. Should the msd stay solid while key is on even when not running?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bump, please someone reply

Problem Solved, some reason my old distributor crapped out on me.
New distributor and I just have timing problems. lol
Well maybe vacuum issue, but I'm much happier now.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts