Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I will be installing an MSD OFFROAD ignition in my 84 toyota however this goes for most MSD ignition modules (be it the msd 6, msd6al and etc...). The wiring is pretty straight forward, but can be daunting if you don't do wiring all that much and the directions that come with the unit are vague for toyota's.
Heres the unit and a simple wiring diagram...

The harness on this particular model comes w/ all weathertight connectors and rubber vibration dampening mounts.

The first order of buisness is finding a good place to mount it, I went ahead and cleaned up the factory harness to make some added room.

After that I made a template to make marking the holes for the box easier and then drilled some 1/4" holed through the inner fender.

Once you mount the box the real fun begins, you get to start splinding all the ends and plugs!

This particular unit can run w/ a rev limiter, kind of handy for those of you w/ lead feet! It's mounted on the opposite side of the voltage reg.

Once all the mounting is done on this unit it's mostly plug and play. The distributor wires need to be spliced directly to the green and violet wires.
Green to white and violet to red. You can use any coil you like but the MSD Blaster coil can better handle the higher output the ignition box offers.

The thick black and red leads go directly to the battery terminals, or a fuse box that can handle at least 20 Amps. The white wire is cut and capped as it's not necassary in this application.

As for the coil it gets the orange wire to the positive side and the black to the negative side.

The small red wire gets run to a keyed 12V + wire. Take this oppritunity to run it inside the cab and wire it through a kill switch of some sort.

The tach output will work w/ most aftermarket tach's, however the toyota tach will require the use of the msd tach adapter.

All that's left is to sit back and enjoy the new thingamabobby w/ tons more spark and reliability!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
are you trying to run the least amount of wiring underneath your hood or are you gonna have a few accessories because my compartment looks like a rats nest and i'm not sure which i can keep and which i cant.....if soo which diagrams did you use to rid yourself of useless wires

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sore4x4man said:
are you trying to run the least amount of wiring underneath your hood or are you gonna have a few accessories because my compartment looks like a rats nest and i'm not sure which i can keep and which i cant.....if soo which diagrams did you use to rid yourself of useless wires

Where do you live? If your in Cali you have to leave all the smog stuff, this MSD unit is however smog legal! So it's basicly the same wiring procedure.
The bulk of the wiring and control modules I removed was all smog related, and the wiring harness to the engine bay was revamped... previous owner thought he knew how to wire stuff, Wrong!

Other than that I only left what was needed to make it run by using the federal schematics, not the Cali. schematics.... you can find them at Autozone.com or any Hanes/ Chilton manual.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Fresh paint, or just a clean old truck? Either way, looks good!

Seen those new DUI Distributors yet? They're looking pretty cool too...

Ryan

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reklund5 said:

Ryan
Yep seen them. They cost munny! Are they better than the stockers though?
Can't be that much better...

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
make sure you get the MSD voltage regulator. these things dont like any spikes at all. mine went up in smoke (while in the middle of DV) they said it dies because of a voltage spike. If you do a search on this, you will see that this has happend to a lot of other people.
Shane

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I dunno if they're any better or not...I was hoping somebody else would gamble on one so I could see the results before I shelled out. My rig is pretty much trail-only these days, so it's hard to justify performance mods. The stock setup has plenty of power in low-low for me...

Good looking truck, nonetheless

Ryan

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
reklund5 said:
My rig is pretty much trail-only these days, so it's hard to justify performance mods. The stock setup has plenty of power in low-low for me...
I used to think the same thing until Camo pointed out to me that the performance ignition puts out a lot hotter spark . On a carbed engine in off-camber stuff when the carb is flooding out the engine the hotter spark will keep it running a lot longer then the stock ignition will!!!

·
Cranky Moderator
7,366 Posts
flecker said:
Thanks Steve for cleaning it up!:D I'm comp. challenged.:p
Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Like My Opp's like "!!!" :flipoff2: )

I bought Wilson's MSD, so I will use this to install it on my 22RE

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
steveh said:
Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Like My Opp's like "!!!" :flipoff2: )

I bought Wilson's MSD, so I will use this to install it on my 22RE
Just remember, you can't eliminate the ignitor on the 22RE.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
reklund5 said:

Ryan
i used to really want one to clean up my engine bay a bit, but there's some drawbacks:

it's a GM ignition. sure, HEI is one of their better ideas, but the toyota box and coil are a lot more reliable. how often do you see a toyota ignitor fail?

being that it's a HEI ignition, it uses a HEI cap -- a V8 one at that(well, the 4/8cyl HEI caps are the same, but the 4cyl has 4 contacts missing). this presents a problem in itself -- ever see how tight the stock distributor is to the power steering pump? you'd have to relocate your P/S pump somewhere else, as it's close to the alternator!

all in all, i'd run a hotter coil(i run an accel super stock coil and gap to .045") or a full out aftermarket ignitor/coil combo.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
PARANOID56 said:
make sure you get the MSD voltage regulator. these things dont like any spikes at all. mine went up in smoke (while in the middle of DV) they said it dies because of a voltage spike. If you do a search on this, you will see that this has happend to a lot of other people.
Shane
I searched MSD's site didn't find any voltage regulators. Do you have the MSD part #?

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OOP'S said:
I used to think the same thing until Camo pointed out to me that the performance ignition puts out a lot hotter spark . On a carbed engine in off-camber stuff when the carb is flooding out the engine the hotter spark will keep it running a lot longer then the stock ignition will!!!
Precisely OOP'S.

On my EFI rig I don't see it as a requirement that the ignition be any hotter, although it couldn't hurt for easier starts and better burning sparks!

On my carbed rig it's much needed! With my weber it's easy to choke it w/ gas when climbing... it will load up and flood due to the design of the carb.
The biggest improvements, at least for me, were the ignition upgrade(MSD or multiple spark discharge) and a fuel pressure regulator. Lowering the float level by about 8mm helps a great deal too! The stock Aisin carb is a great candidate for this upgrade as well, along with venting the overfill tube back to the tank or possibly a charcoal canister... lowering the float a tad on the stocker helps some also.:)

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
blacktoy said:
I searched MSD's site didn't find any voltage regulators. Do you have the MSD part #?
Me thinks such a thing doesn't exist.... The MSD will take on a 16V battery.
I suppose it is possible to loop the positive wire to a surge arrestor or breaker to protect it though. This is my third MSD and I never really had an issue w/ spikes or anything, but hey anything's possible.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
sorry to bring it back from the dead :D but i thought i would add the part number for the voltage regulator / noise filter. its Summit racing part number MSD-8830 ("eliminates radio noise and removes voltage and current surges")

Shane

·
Registered
66 Posts
ARISE FROM THE BEYOND,POST! Anyways,how's your truck doing now? have any recent pics of engine bay after you finished 'er up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
sooo im confused if you do the msd swap you dont use the stock ignitor any more you just use the msd box and ether the msd coil or another coil of your choice such as a accel?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts