Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my 3rd box from MSD now. The first one lasted a while (about a year and a half) the 2nd I got in august and is on its way out... They are great in the customer service area and will be sending me another. The new one is supposed to be a newer model that fix's the bugs of the old. Anyone know anything about this???

Anyone else have problems with there's????

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
when you say going out. what do you mean. what were/ are the symptoms ?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
camo said:
when you say going out. what do you mean. what were/ are the symptoms ?
It will just quit working out of no where. They fire back up randomly. Sometimes it wont start after a nite in the garage, sometimes a day of driving it will die in the middle of the street. sometimes it will fire back up after 30 seconds, sometimes a few hours... The problems gets worse then worse then worse to where it works for like 10min then boom nothing. The first time it would stop working every few weeks, then days, then hours. this box is up to the few days now. MSD has no problems replacing it, which makes me wonder about many others having the same problem.

I have checked everything electrical and its all sound. (its not ground)

·
OG13 King
7,883 Posts
My "waterproof" MSD offroad ignition all but gave up towards the end of the tank trap in ttc '02, sputtering to the finish. I got a free one from MSD but have no intention of putting it back on my junk.
If you plan to submerse your rig, don't use a MSD.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I had a MSD 6 Offroad smoke it's internals. I was told they had problems with some components through a certain date range. Replaced no Q's asked. Mine was purchased 1/02. Died 11/02.

I did have to wait about 14 days from the time of the call until it showed. I purchased the cheaper model to get the truck on the road and it is now a spare.

·
Registered
188 Posts
yea i had an msd 6 leave me stranded twice, ended up frying shit. Sent it back and they said it was fine, Yea right!

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to my box. The first one worked fine for a year or more. After I switched from a Mallory distributor to an HEI, and it only lasted another couple weeks. It worked at first, then I would get an intermittent no start. It just got worse and worse until I had to take it off.

They sent me a new one and it worked for a few weeks then died. It is sitting in my garage still, I just didn't feel like sending it back again. Maybe I should though since I spent $200+ on it.:rolleyes:

I swear it had something to do with switching to the HEI. I wish I knew what was causing it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
yea its not just the boxes either stay away from there distributors, actually anything for that matter, mine friends had similiar results as me with other msd products it fried there stuff too.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I have killed over 6 MSDs off roads, YES they had a problem, i got the updated one and have never had a problem again.
Symptons were, stalling, missfires, and just plain ol not starting

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
okcrawler said:
My dad had an MSD 6 Offroad die on his jeep. It was just out of warrenty and they charged me over $80 to repair it! :(

IMO don't waste your money. That little bit of imaginary performance gain is not worth an unreliable ignition...
I have never had one box under warrenty fail, I have also never paid one dime for a return/repair.
Between me and my friend we killed about 10

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
So who can say they make a big difference in performance. I have had a couple of problems with ignition boxes(MSD and Mallory). I couldn't say they helped much at all. They minor to nil gains I experienced are not worth carrying the replacement parts when they do go out. I love horsepower but it must be reliable.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
welndmn said:

I have never had one box under warrenty fail, I have also never paid one dime for a return/repair.
Between me and my friend we killed about 10
I am the friend and I can vouch for the about 10. I still have not sent back my last one i got about 2 years ago. It is chillen in the garage, I better send it out next week!

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I have run the standard MSD 6A on mine for about 3 years now and have run the piss out of it without a hitch....

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
What number are you guys calling. everytime i call i have to leave a mesage and nobody returnes my call. mine went up in smoke out in death valley a few weeks ago, and luckly somebody had a stock spair one. I need to get this thing fixed.
Thanks
Shane

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
PARANOID56 said:
What number are you guys calling. everytime i call i have to leave a mesage and nobody returnes my call. mine went up in smoke out in death valley a few weeks ago, and luckly somebody had a stock spair one. I need to get this thing fixed.
Thanks
Shane
go to www.msdignition.com then click support and email them, they always get back by email super fast....

·
Premium Member
2,555 Posts
I have already emailed them twice, and have never got a reponce. So, i know this sounds stupid, what email are you guys sending to?
Thanks
Shane

1 - 20 of 20 Posts