Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got an MSD pro billet distributor, and im wondering whats the best way to drop it in. I know u can set your own #1 cyclinder on this piece, im just wondering how you go about the actual process. does the rotor need to line up directly with the plug nipple on the cap? are there points or tricks to line these up correctly, the motor runs about 8 degrees or timing, i figure ill set it at degrees on the timing mark and get them as close as i can? anyone have any advise?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
When you are on the timing mark you could be on the exhaust stroke or the compression stroke. Pull the #1 spark plug and put your finger over it. Than crank the engine. You will feel the pressure on the compression stroke then line up the mark.

·
Registered
847 Posts
what you need to do like triaged said is, drop the dist in and with the number 1 plug removed put your finger int he plug hole and and crank the engine over until the compression blows air out the plug hole, you should then be really close to lining up you timing tab with the zero mark on the dampner. Crank it alittle more unil you are right on the zero mark or damn close. Now check where your rotor is facing. It should be pointing towards the number 1 plug, if it is not you need to lift the dist out and turn the dist by the rotor until you can get it lined up with number 1, then go through the hole process again and double check that it lines up corectly with number 1 plug. Tighten donw the clamp and fire her up and check the timing. Your total timing is probably not 8, but more like32 to 40 depending on your motor. Do you have an advanced timing light?

·
Registered
847 Posts
what you need to do like triaged said is, drop the dist in and with the number 1 plug removed put your finger int he plug hole and and crank the engine over until the compression blows air out the plug hole, you should then be really close to lining up you timing tab with the zero mark on the dampner. Crank it alittle more unil you are right on the zero mark or damn close. Now check where your rotor is facing. It should be pointing towards the number 1 plug, if it is not you need to lift the dist out and turn the dist by the rotor until you can get it lined up with number 1, then go through the hole process again and double check that it lines up corectly with number 1 plug. Tighten donw the clamp and fire her up and check the timing. Your total timing is probably not 8, but more like32 to 40 depending on your motor. Do you have an advanced timing light?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts