Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built my original '87 22RE 4Runner and it ended up on 3/4T fullwidth Chevy axles, 5spd swap, duals, etc. The more capable it got, the less streetable it was.

Then I built an FToy and parted out the old Runner.
I hadn't used the FToy since KOH 2013, so I needed to send it to someone who would enjoy it and find something I would use more. Traded it for this bad boy.

This round will stay more streetable/expo rig.

'96 SR5 supercharged 5vz 3400
A340F
NP231/D300
5.29/Detroit/30spl/6-shooters
5.29/Detroit IFS width disc'ed rear

Original owner built it for 40's. I have no interest in joining the arms race again, so I kept my 36" Iroks and will build it a little lower.

Need to order a 3.0L oil pan as the 3400 oil pan is right on top of the draglink and front diff.

It is crazy soft and had lots of body roll with the rear springs inboarded. The spring hanger xmember also was right in the way of the rear driveline.
I will french the spring hanger and shackle tube into the rear framerails.

Front has a Sky crossmember that will get moved up. I will install TG-style shackles.

I found a ton of Taco builds and not a lot of 3rd gen Runner builds in this section...what else do I need to know?

Attachments

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Because of wheel hop? Traction? Everything?
I have all the parts to finish it on leafs.

I've never done links.
Can you recommend a kit or should I start reading the link thread and playing with the calculator?

Edit: I don't know that this will be a long-term build. I have a kid starting driver's training and I'd prefer to get it on the street/trail ASAP and start riding with her.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:laughing: That was exactly my plan until mobil1syn suggested links. Even if I link it eventually, I still want to complete the leaves ASAP just to get it on the road.

I unloaded it yesterday and already have the existing brackets torched off and ground smooth, and have the rear shackle tubes welded into the framerails. Frenched front hangers should be done in the next night or two.

·
Change is good.
35,186 Posts
Wow, end of an era, eh?

Mine. 98 Limited, v6, auto, e-locker out back, King struts up front (soon to have King shocks and toytech springs in the rear).
\/

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
Link the front, keep the leaves in the back but not inboarded. A linked front end with decent geometry will handle a thousand times better and make life on the street much easier...

Theres something to be said about ridged bars holding your steer axle in place rather then just have it kind float around with leaves.

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I need to get some pics posted.

I have the rear shackle tubes welded into the frame. I will need to run dogleg shackles or trim the body mount a little.

Frenching the rear spring hangers into the frame. I have the plates cut and the frame notched...then I ran into this post by Addicted from their "Project Frenchy" build.

Front is done minus the steering box. We're waiting on a flat pitman arm prior to messing with it.

Rear frenched hangers are being installed today as well.

Simple...I wish I had thought of that. :laughing:

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oil pan. Found a 94 T100 2wd 3.0l pan online from a salvage yard in Alabama. $100 shipped including the pickup tube.

3.0L 2wd pickup tube mounts were in the center of the crank, so I cut them off, installed the pickup tube, bolted in the mounts and welded them to the tube.

Now I'm ready to french the front hangers.

Attachments

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the rear shackle tubes in the frame and the rear frenched hangers built and ready to weld in.

I put the rear tube in a bit below centerline and trimmed the rear body mount instead of bothering with boomerang shackles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Where did the updates go man? I know you dont have anything better to do than work in a warm shop during this cold spell we are having!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Greetings from Superior Montana ! Just checking in for any updates! If your build is like my T100 build it will have to wait till the Snow leaves town !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts