Pirate 4x4 banner

41 - 60 of 1002 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tachs out at about 62-63mph. I don't have a tach (yet),
I ran ~62 from Spokane to Kalispell (210 miles) and got about 10.5 mpg empty when I brought it home.
:
I added a Tiny Tach to my Uhaul conversion. It worked out well and is a very easy install. Here's a link to the mfg.:
http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

10.5 mpg is what I see as well. That's empty or loaded. Push it to 65+ and the mpg TANKS! Cruising at 60 -65 is the sweet spot. Re the RV registration. I did have a clerk walk out to the truck. All she was looking for was a water and power hook up on the outside.

Uhaul build thread

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480067

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
you need a CDL when the trailer weight excedes 10,000 lbs AND the GCWR is > 26000. you can town a 10,000 ;b trailer with a vehicle whose GVWR is <26000.

example: rigs GVWR= 24,000 lbs. you can legally tow a trailer weighing <10,000 (GCVWR=34,000 lbs) without a CDL.

GCVWR only has to be under 26000,if the trailer weighs >10,000 lb.

example: trailer GVWR=14,000 lbs. your tow rig can only have a GVWR of 12,000 lbs or less.

this is federal law. if your state as additional regulations,thats a whole new can of worms ;)

im not sure at all how being an RV fits into the equation. if there is no GVWR,they may let you tow up to a 26000 lb trailer, or they may take the actual weight of the RV to factor in the 26,000 lb limit if the trailer GVWR(or actual weight) is > than 10,000.

at any rate,youre right,its a pretty grey area.

i agree the MH conversion is definately the way to go. registering,plating,and insureing a vehicle with bigger than a 1 ton GVWR is super expensive. MH plates and insurance are super cheap :smokin:

also,you may not really have to have all the mods done to go ahead and switch the plates and insurance. here in ohio all you do is fill out the form,there is no actual inspection. all you have to do is answer the questions correctly on the body change form at the DMV :laughing:

just make sure you are using it only for recreational purposes. i imagine youd be in pretty big trouble if you got pulled over with a bunch og freight in your RV!

i had always heard that you can just register it as a rv and paint not for hire on the sides and makes all that grey area go away..

i mean look at those big pusher buss rvs.. i can guarentee you gramps driving that bohamith doesnt have a cdl.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
i had always heard that you can just register it as a rv and paint not for hire on the sides and makes all that grey area go away..

i mean look at those big pusher buss rvs.. i can guarentee you gramps driving that bohamith doesnt have a cdl.
Gramps doesn't. Federal laws apply to commercial drivers under FMCSA. States set their own rules for what qualifies as "standard car" (class D in Oklahoma).. Here the definition even specifically states "regardless of weight" when referring to RVs. Some states have non-commerical class A's for weight... Some do not.

Nightcrawlers blanket statement is not accurate for recreational drivers in all states.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Nightcrawlers blanket statement is not accurate for recreational drivers in all states.
right-as i stated,my statement is federal law. you need to research in your state of origin and states of intended travel to see what,if any,additional laws may apply.

·
Premium Member
108,048 Posts
If you're still trying to get the vinyl off the sides, use WD-40. It's what many tint installers use and what I used at the meth lab for stickers. Worked much better than goof-off.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Sweet build man! I didn't know you were building this thing, it is gonna rock. Sorry I didn't have a chance to talk to you more at the wedding on Saturday, so much going on. I'm moving up there this winter and am looking forward to checkning out the toter in person :)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Cool man, Ya C Falls. I'm getting a transfer at work to work in Kalispell so it won't be a bad commute. See ya soon and good luck on the project.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
how does that "tiny tach " on the dash work? I thought they needed a spark plug signal to read anything?
Go to TinyTach.com -- it is a tach designed especially for injected applications and works off injection pulse. Connect a sensor to a fuel line, route wires, and drive away. Simple.

Randii

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I have a tiny tach in my Dodge. It is easy, but not a really good replacement for an anolog tach. You could never use it to determine when to upshift as it moves too fast to read. It is good for knowing cruise rpm and when to downshift and such.
Travis..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looking good bro! Can't wait to see the finished project.
Have you seen the ridiculous airline rates?! Only way me and the family can visit would be for me to sell a kidney! And if I have to sell a kidney I'm gonna buy a damn built crawler with the money instead!:D

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Update pics:

Got the inside painted, appliances installed, water plumbed, doors on the cabinets painted and installed.

Attachments

·
Not a Wenzelite
36,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
What you can't see....it's a small thing, but I added a female airline connector so I now have access to my onboard air system for airing tires and running an airgun!!! :smokin:

Got almost all the vinyl peeled off the passenger side. Uggh... plan is to sand it down, bondo the small nicks/pits and then paint the whole thing with white tractor paint like the inside, and then get some graphics done!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Wow I like that. Does it have an AC unit?

41 - 60 of 1002 Posts