Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would really do a SX but you said the TSL or MTR so i would go with MTR.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
LittleBro said:
I would really do a SX but you said the TSL or MTR so i would go with MTR.
Why would you prefer the SX over the MT/R... but not the TSL? The TSL is still a lot tougher than an MTR. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
864 Posts
I just got the MTRs, 37s though, love em so far they are cheap if you go to discount or Sams club. I considered the TSLs but ended up with these since i can go to any discount tire and get them serviced or fixed for free.

·
Registered
273 Posts
how much did you drop on the mtr's? i just got a set of 38.5/14.5/15 sx's, from 4wheel parts, mounted for just around a grand, and that included the "no questions asked warrenty", everywhere else was askin between 11 and 12 hundred, and that was without the warrenty. my vote is for the sx

·
Visa Master
2,320 Posts
I like the MT/R's for the rock stickin...

But around here we have to run TSL's because everything isn't dry and Ideal when you are crawling in the creeks and woods. We had a few guys with really well set up rigs running MT/R's and got spanked becaused they couldn't clean themselves out for shit when the trip got sloppy, while the boys sporting swampers just threw goobers.

You probably won't encounter that problem there.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
zags said:
35X15X15 is way too wide for rocks. No contact pressure.
I disagree with that. JackA, ScottD, and myself all ran that size for a while and the only complaint we (or at least I) had was ground clearance. Other than that, they work fine.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
zags said:
Well that would depend on a whole lot more variables than has been discussed here, now wouldn't it? ;)

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
zags said:
Ya, I don't understand that statement. My SX's grab the rock so well the rims spun inside the tire, now they're beadlocked.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Bad Karma said:

I disagree with that. JackA, ScottD, and myself all ran that size for a while and the only complaint we (or at least I) had was ground clearance. Other than that, they work fine.
Really? I am suprised to hear you say that. I stand corrected.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Both tire work great and I'm sure you'd be happy with both but, IMO, the 35x15x15 is just too wide for a Toy front end. If you're going to use the truck on both the street and trail, I'd recommend the 35x12.5x15 MTR or 36x12.5x15 SX mounted on an 8-9" wheel.

Just my .02 ;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
the tsl's are will stand up to a good beating..ive put mine through hell and back and havnt popped one yet...thay are worth every penny ..great tire...the mtr are a radial tire that i personally havnt tried, but they seem more like a street firenldy tire that can do get some good traction in the rocks but not how sure how well they can put up with the abuse that a swamper can take...my .02

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
zags said:

Really? I am suprised to hear you say that. I stand corrected.
Well, I did have sidewall problems as well, but that was my own fault. My 39.5-15's work great for me also, I am extremely happy with them. :D My main problem with the 35's always seemed to be ground clearance, not traction, usually.

Jack was already running the 38's when when our two groups merged, so you didn't get see him run with 35's. That sumbitch NEVER got stuck. He used to frustrate the hell outta me.:D It truly was impressive to watch.

·
Registered
281 Posts
mtr would be my vote or 36 12.50 SX if you are never going to drive on them

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I agree with Rubicrawler as far as too wide for the front IF your still running a stock width toy front. I tend to forget I've widened mine and it's wider than my 87 rear.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Rubicrawler said:
Both tire work great and I'm sure you'd be happy with both but, IMO, the 35x15x15 is just too wide for a Toy front end. If you're going to use the truck on both the street and trail, I'd recommend the 35x12.5x15 MTR or 36x12.5x15 SX mounted on an 8-9" wheel.

Just my .02 ;)
I agree, 15" wide is way wide on a Toy front end. You'll have to be able to air down big time to take advantage of them. I ran 15.5"s for a while the width was nice at times but without beadlocks I couldn't air them down enough to keep from sliding off rocks. I'm planning on going to either 36x12.5 TSLS or 37 MTRs. My $.02

Travis

1 - 20 of 39 Posts