Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again with another build. While I was collecting parts for my last truck, I realized that a linked "trail only" truck wasn't going fit my life as well anymore. I needed something that I could not only wheel, but drive anywhere, haul wood, pick up supplies for the house, and pretty much do anything I wanted with it. Having to buy a tow rig and trailer just wasn't in the budget so I sold my other chassis and picked up a decent 1980 first gen.

I wasn't going to start a build thread for this truck since it most likely won't be anything revolutionary; but everyone likes a first gen build.:flipoff2:
I found this truck in a field at my wife's uncles house. It has been sitting there for a few years untouched. The fenders were rough, the bed was roached, and there was a mouse apartment in the cab. However the cab and frame were in great shape. Her uncle threw in a battery and it fired right up! I drove it a little over an hour home and was surprised at how well it ran and drove. The motor was rebuilt a few years before it was parked and had a new weber carb on it.

Here it is right after I brought it home. It even had a custom leaf pattern camo job with some bad ass hood scoops.

It still had the factory seats and carpet as well.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I started by removing the rusty old bed to start cleaning the frame. There was only one spot on the inside frame rail that was bad. The rest was in good shape.

Frame painted.

I picked up a new bed from an 84 2wd. The body lines don't match perfectly, but this isn't a full resto so I'm not worried about it.

Next step was the floors. Under that factory carpet was a few weak spots and holes.

Floors are still a work in progress. I did order some new fenders off eBay as well. Not bad for $175 shipped for both.

That's where I am so far. Next I'm going to finish the floors, paint, and decide which axles I'm going to run. I have a built set if tons and 40" iroks, or I can use my fj60 axles and get a new set of 37" mtr's. The only thing that I am sure of is that it is getting the 2rz I have out into it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sweet. I do love a first gen build. Ya lucked out, that can could be a lot worse, especially for a field truck.

If it was me I'd run the fj60 axle, ya get the sweet drop out diff, extra length over a mini, and the weight difference should be substantial.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Lookin good man. Sorry to hear about your 3rd gen. This should be a fun build. Gonna be watchin!

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Rugburn. Got the floors finished and painted the truck. It's now rust free!

Also picked up my rear fj80 axle today.

And the new shoes 5-38/13/15 creepy crawlers. Rcv axles and misc parts are in order with poly performance.

Also, while working on the rig my DD 99 4Runner had a trans cooler corrosion delima and mixed count into the radiator. So now I am dding the first gen and looking for a 5 speed to swap into the runner or just buy a powerstroke or tundra for pulling duties.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Finally a good build thread in here!

nice choice on the rear axle :smokin:

truck looks good keep it up:grinpimp:

·
Registered
173 Posts
First gen looks good! If you still have the fenders you replaced, you might be able to cut off the stock flare and attach it to the bed and blend it in even more!

How does the trailer tow? I took an extra 1st gen bed and made a trailer to tow behind my truck but its got some issues and seems sketchy with the stock/soft suspension. Going to try to bandaid it and tow it from FL to TN friday...

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks! I still have the factory flares that came on the original first gen bed but the wheel wells will be cut to fit the 38's because the truck will sit fairly low. As far as the trailer, I haven't towed it yet. I have to make a shackle for one side and add shocks still.

·
Premium Member
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the motor and trans mounted. Still need to build a crossmember.

Also cleaned up the rear axle and under coated the body.

Set the rear axle so the WB would be around 115". It looks way to long. Going to move it up about 6-8".

This will work mich better I think. Shorter WB for all the tight woods trails.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are you in need of a driver side mirror? There's a chance I have one laying around. I'd be willing to send it out to you if I can find it.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts