Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 359 Posts

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are just starting fabrication on a new car for 2012. The design has been in the works since about April.

For any of you who are fans of Murphy's Law Motorsports on facebook you would already know about this. Check us out and Like it!

I want to start off saying that this wouldn't be happening with out great friends and sponsors. Below are just a few sponsors who help make it all happen.

Griffin Radiators
Yukon Axle & Gear
Fox Racing Shox
Raceline Wheels
Kessler Machine & Fabricating
Howe Performance steering
Ruffstuff Specialties
Spiegel South Shore Scrap Metal
Flexcon Industries

The specs of the car:

Mid engine GM Lq9 6.0
4l60e trans
Atlas transfer case
Griffin Cooling
Gm 14bolts Yukon grizzly lockers, gears axle shafts
Fox 2.0 coil carriers, 2.0 air bumps 3.0 4 tube bypasses mounted to trailing arms front and rear 20" of wheel travel in the front, 24" in the rear.
Ruffstuff rod ends.
39" BFG Krawlers mounted on raceline monster beadlocks
Warn Winch
Howe Performance steering
PRP Seats
Pelican Storage cases

Here is a movie I took of the car in Solidworks.

Murphy's Law Motorsports 2012 car - YouTube

There are way more pictures up on our facebook page!

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some pictures

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Subframe going together

Front and rear housings. Front is a thick wall 14bolt. the rear has been re tubed with 4" 5/16 wall tubes. It will take front dana 60 bolt on spindles.

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lots of parts from Yukon:

Mock Up Shocks From Fox

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Looking forward to this build. Love the idea to stop the arms from rotating. I think I'm going to steel that idea!

·
Registered
204 Posts
as always a quality build lucas

love it and the attention to detail. hope i can get up to give ya a hand at some point

i will call ya later

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm not on facebook so I'm glad you posted here.

Impressive Lucas.

You have some real nice details in there. It's a lot of time in front of the computer I know but I know it will work out better in the long run.
CAD trial and error is a lot easier then wasting time and money on metal, I'm on my 5th design.
The rear engine looks to be the best way to go, but more expensive for me I already have a lot of the parts to go front engine, I have a pretty tight budget to work with.

If you see anything on my model you need let me know. I don't put too much detail in my model, my computer cannot handle it. Still the same computer from college.

So are you running the little anti wobble links on the trailing arms? hard to see.
No adjustable mounts?

what is the weight savings for the 4L60 over the 4L80? is it worth it?

What is your steering angle? Also is that full articulation full up / full down or is it biased as if the extreme cannot happen (sway bar pulls the other up).
Do the bumps hit at full artic the bumps are a little inboard of the links, either they limit travel or don't hit on articulation cannot have both unless the bumps mount in the same place as the links. I thought about using the chassis tube over the tire to limit full articulation.
I know when you are articulating it is usually slow but what if you had a hard roll I things happen I wouldn't want you to bottom out your expensive shocks.

I had a hard time just getting 14" travel at the wheels with full width axles and 40º steering, but I also have a little engine in the way.

In all looks awesome cannot wait to see it in action.
My buggy is a slow process but I just started parting out my CJ to fund it so it is at least started.
I have a second kid on the way so next year wheel is out, figure I can use the time in the garage. 10ft away in the garage is easier than 4hrs to Rausch.

Let me know if you're ever down this way, Naugatuck CT just south of Waterbury.
~Justin

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Justin. I would say I have between about 100 hours into the soldiworks stuff. I was able to use a ton of the work i did on my first car on this one.

Every part of the sub frame got laser cut off the model. Asside from a few small mistakes on my part it all went together really nicely.

I'm not on facebook so I'm glad you posted here.

Impressive Lucas.

You have some real nice details in there. It's a lot of time in front of the computer I know but I know it will work out better in the long run.
CAD trial and error is a lot easier then wasting time and money on metal, I'm on my 5th design.
The rear engine looks to be the best way to go, but more expensive for me I already have a lot of the parts to go front engine, I have a pretty tight budget to work with.

If you see anything on my model you need let me know. I don't put too much detail in my model, my computer cannot handle it. Still the same computer from college.

So are you running the little anti wobble links on the trailing arms? hard to see.

Yes. They work out pretty sweet. the axis of the shock only moves about .090 off the axis of the trailing arm through the suspension stroke
No adjustable mounts?

what is the weight savings for the 4L60 over the 4L80? is it worth it?

No idea. I have a built 4l60 from my old car

What is your steering angle? Also is that full articulation full up / full down or is it biased as if the extreme cannot happen (sway bar pulls the other up).
Do the bumps hit at full artic the bumps are a little inboard of the links, either they limit travel or don't hit on articulation cannot have both unless the bumps mount in the same place as the links. I thought about using the chassis tube over the tire to limit full articulation.
I know when you are articulating it is usually slow but what if you had a hard roll I things happen I wouldn't want you to bottom out your expensive shocks.

The bumps are inline with the shocks. I am certain that I will never bottom out a shock in a roll. 3.0 bypasses are pretty good at slowing stuff down. The sway bar has to limit articulation.

I had a hard time just getting 14" travel at the wheels with full width axles and 40º steering, but I also have a little engine in the way.

40 degrees, 20 inches of front wheel travel. I spent a ton of time getting as much up travel as possible. in reality the axles droop out about the same as my current car. I spent a bunch of time with Todd from fox in regards to the suspension. He has been a great resource to us His suspension setups have been on the podium of every major desert race this year and last. He told me what it needed to be and I just dubbed with it till I could make it work.

In all looks awesome cannot wait to see it in action.
My buggy is a slow process but I just started parting out my CJ to fund it so it is at least started.
I have a second kid on the way so next year wheel is out, figure I can use the time in the garage. 10ft away in the garage is easier than 4hrs to Rausch.

congrats on the kids!

Let me know if you're ever down this way, Naugatuck CT just south of Waterbury.
~Justin

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
Looking good Lucas! Are you planning on having this together for KOH or just the rest of the season? You are still racing in feb right? Keep up the good work, I stumbled across your old thread on your current rig a few weeks back, you have come a long way.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Look out everyone. He was beating people with a 7 foot tall turtle and now he builds a beast of a U4 car that has a center of gravity that is 2 feet lower then his old car. We are all screwed.

Nice work so far Lucas. Your attention to detail really shows and I am sure will pay off in the end. :smokin:

·
THE VOICE OF REASON
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I appreciate the kind words everyone. We have been working really hard on this to have a good car right out of the box. Time will tell if we have a good one or not.

Looking good Lucas! Are you planning on having this together for KOH or just the rest of the season? You are still racing in feb right? Keep up the good work, I stumbled across your old thread on your current rig a few weeks back, you have come a long way.
I am not sure Rob. If the stars line up we could race it at the hammers. The turtle is still complete, and 2 weeks away from being race ready. With out a doubt we will be Racing in february.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Followed the last build, will follow this one.

This is gonna be one badass car...

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Following the build on facebook this thing is :grinpimp:. Nice to see a build from our neck of the woods for once! Keep up the good work :smokin:

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
subscribed... Looks :smokin: Lucas... Good luck!

1 - 20 of 359 Posts