Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Procrastinator
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I love their music. Guess I just never thought it was possible to not have a guitar player in a rock band. He definitely found a way to do it and do it well. It is almost as if he has to play bass and guitar at the same time plus sing. Too much for me to even think about much less doing it.

Trent Reznor plays all the instruments and sings for his NIN records and mixes in the studio. He throws a band together for the tours. Guy is a genius.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Why would it matter? If you have a good sound you have a good sound. It's all in how you use what you've got in my opinion. If there were rules you'd lose all the creativity.

·
Registered
13,998 Posts
it is easy to do.
Yep.

2 amps - 1 guitar amp and 1 bass amp
Signal from the bass goes into an A/B pedal - signal A goes into an Octave pedal (RB uses a POG2) to take the bass tone up an octave or 2 and that goes to the guitar amp and signal B goes straight into the bass amp. With the A/B pedal, the guitarist chooses which amp (or both) to play through at a given time.

Jack White (from the White Stripes) has done something similar in the past except he takes his guitar tone DOWN and octave or 2 and pushes that through a bass rig while at the same time sending his guitar signal into his guitar amp(s).

·
Registered
12,273 Posts
I just did some googling and apparently its about a lot of technical bi-valve transmogrifier that takes the bass signal and converts it into a guitar signal and goes through a separate amp while allowing the bass signal to go through a bass amp or some shit.
:confused:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Dont forget Local H another 2 piece band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Oe5YKhzCE

Local H formed as a result of a high school band that Scott Lucas and Matthew "Matt" Garcia were in called Rude Awakening, in 1987. In 1987, while attending high school in Zion, Scott Lucas and Joe Daniels began jamming together, along with Matthew "Matt" Garcia and John Sparkman. Local H was formed in 1990, performing their first show on April 20, 1990, at the University of Wisconsin in Whitewater. Sparkman left the band on April 4, 1991, and Garcia left on January 26, 1993, and Lucas and Daniels began looking for a replacement bassist. They eventually decided to carry on as a duo with Lucas handling bass guitar frequencies after having a high school friend, Toby (Tobey) Flescher, modify his guitar with an added bass pickup and second output. Local H played their first show as a true duo on September 3, 1993.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
Apparently I listen to them too... We have satellite radio in the shop and I put it on Octane which usually lasts an hr or until some fairly 'heavy' song until one of the old geezers turns it over to classic vinyl... It's just background noise anyways in a 20 bay shop full of 797 Cat and 930 Komatsu haul trucks.

We have 3 different radios spread across the shop and ya never really know what your listening to unless ya go check to see what's playing haha

21 - 31 of 31 Posts