Pirate 4x4 banner

221 - 240 of 269 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Having the saw stop every time I let go of the trigger It could be an advantage if I am up in a bucket 30ft off the ground . :laughing:

Do not under estimate that benefit! If you were closer, I would loan you mine to try out. I use mine for a variety of jobs, and while a gas saw has it's place, there is no substitute for a M-18 saw, especially working off a ladder or out of a bucket.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
I had a brutal wind storm last week and have several trees with snapped branches 30ft off the ground. I am going to look into renting a boom lift and trimming them myself. Seems like a perfect time to look into the 18v Chainsaw. Has anyone used one or even seen one up close? I have read people say that the ergonomics are more for cutting felled wood than trimming branches from a bucket. FWIW the best prices on them now that I could find are at CPO. I would probably pop for the saw, 12a battery, charger, and leaf blower for 450 bucks. The 12a batteries seem to be going for 200 all by themselves
for branches, what about just grabbing the tree pruning saw and a hackzall?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-12-in-5-Teeth-per-in-Pruning-SAWZALL-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade-1-Pack-48-00-1305/202256182

seems like it would be more useful after the fact.
I've used my sawzall to prune with. It's handy. A one handed hackzall widget might be the best shit ever for that.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
for branches, what about just grabbing the tree pruning saw and a hackzall?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-12-in-5-Teeth-per-in-Pruning-SAWZALL-Reciprocating-Saw-Blade-1-Pack-48-00-1305/202256182

seems like it would be more useful after the fact.
I've used my sawzall to prune with. It's handy. A one handed hackzall widget might be the best shit ever for that.
Because I already have those blades and have been using them for probably 10 years. Thanks for the firsthand knowledge about the chainsaw. I suppose a bow saw, hatchet, butter knife, or sharp stone might work also but I am asking for information about the chainsaw, I guess my previous posts have been too ambiguous.

·
Premium Member
7,197 Posts
I think the Milfawkee chain saw has too long of a blade. I have a 12" Maita and it does well enough for trimming and trail clearing. Take a bit to get used to as you can push it but it is the most compact saw out right now.

I have used the dewalt 12" as well (dad bought one) and it's bulkier and heavier then the Makita but it seems to have good gearing. Dad used his to cut out 2 rather large cottonwood stumps this fall. One 18v 5aH battery is pretty close to one tank of gas on the Makita.

My Uncle has the longer bar dewalt and it (IMHO) is just too big for a 18v battery.
Thanks, I hadn't considered the 16 inch bar length but agree that it is less than ideal for what I need to do. I looked into it and it uses a standard .043 x3/8 pitch chain and standard bar. If I buy the saw I will probably buy a 10 or 12 inch bar for this task.

Part of this deal is to get into a 12 amp battery without having to pay 200 bucks for it alone.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Are the knockoff batteries any good?

Absolutely hit or miss. I bought a two pack of 12 volt 3.0s, one was dead out of the box, the other was weaker than a Milwauke 2.0.
Not recommended.

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
Because I already have those blades and have been using them for probably 10 years. Thanks for the firsthand knowledge about the chainsaw. I suppose a bow saw, hatchet, butter knife, or sharp stone might work also but I am asking for information about the chainsaw, I guess my previous posts have been too ambiguous.
well my first hand experience is it's heavy as fuck and doesn't last very long doing real work. We borrowed one to see if it would work out for my mother in law. Too heavy for her to comfortably wield overhead to prune with, and I wouldn't want to carry it up a tree. It did maybe 30 minutes of real work before the battery was drawn down to the point that a 20" trunk would stall it and force a restart.

the super fancy and ridiculously expensive stihl battery saw wasn't much better.

which is why I suggested a hackzall and pruning blades, because that's what we did for her.

:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Are the knockoff batteries any good?
I bought 2, 4.0 18v's off ebay, both died after the first use, I bitched and the seller sent me two more, which also were single use...

The two 4.0 m12 knockoffs have been good so far though..

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
know how i know youre a dummy?

you tried using a cordless electric 16" saw to cut a 20" trunk :laughing:

so you don't test things to the limit to find out what they're capable of?

I can put a 16" gas powered saw into something dumb and it still keeps cutting.
Milwaukee advertises it to have the power of a 40cc saw.
which would be more powerful than any of my gas saws.

·
Registered
15,492 Posts
you drained the battery(probably a 5.0 who knows since your review so vague) for 30 minutes and then expect it to be able to cut into a 20" tree and thats your review, along with a mother in law not being able to use it to cut above her head because its heavy :rolleyes:

worst review ever :laughing:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
All you guys talking about a chainsaw--do any of these have an oiler shutoff valve? Us happy homeowners use a saw about once every 18 months. Every time, you open the case to discover the only time the oiler ever actually oiled anything is when it sits in the case.

So, I guess what I'm saying is--I need to either learn to dump all the bar oil out of the saw after use, or have a shutoff valve that keeps the oil in the reservoir. Has anyone added that to their cordless saw?

·
don't know nothin'
2,023 Posts
All you guys talking about a chainsaw--do any of these have an oiler shutoff valve? Us happy homeowners use a saw about once every 18 months. Every time, you open the case to discover the only time the oiler ever actually oiled anything is when it sits in the case.

So, I guess what I'm saying is--I need to either learn to dump all the bar oil out of the saw after use, or have a shutoff valve that keeps the oil in the reservoir. Has anyone added that to their cordless saw?
No shut off. And the oil does run out when sitting.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Whats the best (cheapest) way to buy m18 tools? I have two stand up lights with batts, woud like a drill and maybe one batt. Home depot packages had an impact, but I already have those

Thanks

·
Registered
29,929 Posts
you drained the battery(probably a 5.0 who knows since your review so vague) for 30 minutes and then expect it to be able to cut into a 20" tree and thats your review, along with a mother in law not being able to use it to cut above her head because its heavy :rolleyes:

worst review ever :laughing:
oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was being graded.

it's heavy
the battery doesn't last long.
and it does not have the power of a 40cc saw like they say it does, or putting a bar on it would be an option to use it for larger work, and not just the pruning that it would be suited for if it weren't so fucking heavy

the stihl saw had more power, but is dumb expensive and still suffers from a short battery life if you use it hard.
also heavy because battery.

I do think that both would be perfectly suited to occasional use for cutting down small trees, but then why not save yourself a fuckton of money and just buy a 100 dollar corded one? Or a pruning blade for a sawzall or hackzall?
they would be super handy for camping/trail saws.

better?
:flipoff2:

fuck. everyone a critic.
:laughing:

·
Registered
15,492 Posts
still didnt say what battery you used :flipoff2:

shouldnt be using that saw with anything but a 12.0 if you want it to be comparable to a gas saw

221 - 240 of 269 Posts