Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the planning stages for a new house and a new shop, hoping to start this spring/summer. It'a in a rural area, on 5 acres, about 2000 ft elevation. I have built two houses before, some stuff I do myself (framing, flooring, trim, finish), and some I have subcontracted (Plumbing, wiring, insulation, sheetrock) the house will be a 3 bed/2 bath, about 2100 sq ft ? open floor plan, a big rectangle with covered porches down both long sides.

The shop will hopefully be big. ( I know, never big enough!) and will have 3 separate rooms, one for a shop, one for storing misc., and one for storing cars. All garage doors will face north (our prevailing winds are 99% from the east or west) The Shop room will be insulated, the other two will not.

Without getting too crazy on expensive dream stuff I can't afford, what are realistic, budget minded things I need to include in the house or shop that I haven't thought of ?

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
good lights, good floor, at least 1 lift, 14' door(s)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Undermount sinks, make cleaning the counters way easier
Prewire for solar if there is good potential
Sound deadening insulation in interior walls
Whole home audio if you are into that
couple Cat 6 to every room
220 outlets in garage, not just the shop
outside vented hood over the stove

thicker areas of concrete for a vehicle lift in the future
water to the shop
beer fridge in the shop
lots of outlets and lights in the shop

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Tie down points in the concrete floor at the ends of the bays and corners of the room so you can pull vehicles or machines around with a come-along. Super cheap as long as you remember to do it while the concrete is wet.

·
Premium Member
13,298 Posts
Shop-

LED lights. You can save $$$ by doing minimum for storage areas and going full retard over the work area.

Hose reels and extension cord reels. Get decent stuff. Lots of outlets are nice, but cord reels are way more nicerer.

Outlets around the front of each vehicle parking area. It's nice being able to keep something on a battery tender and not have to trip over an extension cord.

Fuckin tunes man. Nobody wants the old giant great sounding tower speakers anymore. Grab some good shit off craigslist. People are giving away Klipsch, Polk, Yamaha, JBL etc... you can get mid priced shit for pennies on the dollar compared to what it cost back when it was new.

Insulate, insulate, insulate. Can't have enough insulation in a shop.

OSB walls wherever possible. Painted white (or some light color). Just painting the osb in my shop tripled the perceived light in there. Ceiling especially (if applicable).

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Hidden gun safe room.

More plugs than you think you will need in the home and shop.

Agree with a 220 service in your garage.

A few 220 plugs in your shop if you will be moving a welder around.

Some type of car lift in the shop if your budget allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Shop
Outlets every 5or so ft high off the ground
Led lights
Exhaust fans
Light switches by every entrance
Air lines ran everywhere
Separate insulated spot for the air compressor with remote drain
Make sure the floor can support a 2post lift

House
Exhaust fans in laundry room and all bathrooms on timers
Vented range fan
Light switches at every room entrance
Outside plugs everywhere,ground level and in the eves,wire the eves to a timer
Tie all outdoor lights to a timer or photo cell
Insulation in the interior walls
Brace all ceiling light boxes so you can install fans/chandeliers later
Deep closets so the doors dont fuck with your cloths while you try to shut them
Drain pan that goes to a drain for the washer and water heater
Wire your surround speakers and sub in the wall
20amp feeds to ea kitchen plug
Plumb the stove for 120, 240 and gas
Plumb water for the fridge

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Run air lines to your house, my grandpa did this, air hose in the 2 car garage, air lines in his basement workshop, airlines in the barn, and one big ass compressor in the shop

Edit:

I'd really like to have RV hookups at the shop, and place the shop a little farther from the house than some may think reasonable, then in a few years, build the same setup somewhere warm. Retire, rent both houses, but not the shops, split toys and tools between them, and snowbird.

·
Registered
11,606 Posts
Ethernet to the shop and garage.

Security cameras

Many times I wished I had an air outlet in the house for home improvement projects. Beats dragging a hose through a window.

A hard wired and plumbed electric pressure washer by the bay doors is something I want to do.

Motion activated light by shop man door.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Schluter linear drain for your master shower and bath floor heat!!!!!! But only if you have a tile setter you trust, knows wtf he’s doing!!!!!

Everybody else nailed the other stuff!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Run air lines to your house, my grandpa did this, air hose in the 2 car garage, air lines in his basement workshop, airlines in the barn, and one big ass compressor in the shop

Edit:

I'd really like to have RV hookups at the shop, and place the shop a little farther from the house than some may think reasonable, then in a few years, build the same setup somewhere warm. Retire, rent both houses, but not the shops, split toys and tools between them, and snowbird.
When you run air lines in the house, be sure if you are using spray foam that you don't run poly air hose. When the foam cures it reacts and will melt it. I had one run to the kitchen and it burst. Scared the spray foam guys pretty good and blew it all over. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts