Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Lots of good stuff here, thanks guys and keep it coming !

I have a pretty nice shop right now: 10,000 lb 2 post lift, 6 220v circuits, insulated (but no good heat source.....which sucks !) lots of LED lights, a couple high south facing windows, plywood on some walls, (next shop I would like to do all of it) I sunk a piece of 2" ID square receiver tube vertically in the concrete at the end of both big shop bays so I can always drop a hitch in it to winch or come-along off of, any pipe would have worked, but it's always easy to find a hitch stinger !

I want to do a heat source or two in the new shop, a wood stove for one, and has anyone here ever put a heat pump in a shop ?

I have been thinking about running underground air to the house, garage, and garden shed from the shop compressor. maybe also both porches ?

I am also thinking about running a couple 2" or 3" conduits under the floor before I pour it, from a wall to a drive-over box (like for a water meter) in the middle of one of the bays in the shop, and run an extension cord through one of them and hook the dust collector wood working vacuum system to the other, so I can pull the table saw, band saw, or router table (all on wheels) out in the middle of the bay, and not have to trip over a cord or vac. hose.

In my current house I put a second washer & drier in the master bathroom and I love it. I'm actually really surprised more people don't do the same. We have teenage daughters, and they use the laundry room set, we use the master set. It blows my mind that people put in 200 sq ft fucking showers and look at me weird for my master Laundry !

Also going to put a big sink in the new shop for sure, and a Jib crane.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As for shops
If I was building from scratch I might do heat in the floor.
Maybe by circulating hot water from a wood stove.
And for sure I’d put a pair of I beams in the slab so I could weld things down .... seeings how I build cars and steel fab a lot.

House
Iv always wanted one with a porch all the way around with an indoor style fireplace outside.
And don’t know what they’re called ........ big post and beam style roof section car port / park area thing on the side built off the house ... like off the kitchen side door.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would think about a concrete storage room along the back of the garage for storage. Then, it could be a shooting range after it is built.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
In slab heat and wood stove/ fireplace. No hvac.
This times a million, home and shop. After staying in a place with radiant floor heat, it's the way to go. No cold spots, and no cold feet.

Ideally, I'd have a wood burning furnace in the shop that has provisions to heat the normal water for showers and the fluid for the floor heat. As a back up for those days when you get home after being gone all weekend or whatever, I'd still have gas or electric available to heat both the water and fluid.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ethernet to building eves for security cams. Power by the fireplace to run insert fan.

I would like laundry room type area to have almost a shower type area, could wash dog, hang wet jackets, or some clothes we wash are better to hang dry. This place would let drips be contained.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
The drain in the shop and laundry room is a good one.

To add to the floor heat. I'd do it on the walls of the shower if possible. I love large tile showers, but unless you let the water run for ever the walls are like ice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Some redundant ideas, some new:

Shop:
Ethernet
LED lights
hot water, large sink
I like windows
insulation everywhere
Outlets in the ceiling

House:
Gas instant water heater on a recirc pump
Remote mount exhaust fans for bathrooms and kitchen - mounted in the attic.
Biggest exhaust fans you can afford, especially in the kitchen.
Insulate all interior walls for sound deadening. If it's 2 story, insulation under the stairs.
Spray foam in the attic. Make that "conditioned space".
Plenty of lights in the attic with full flooring. No trusses.
2x8 blocking in between studs near wall mounted fixtures like towel racks.
Around here, fully encapsulated crawl space. Make that shit "conditioned space" too.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
This times a million, home and shop. After staying in a place with radiant floor heat, it's the way to go. No cold spots, and no cold feet.

Ideally, I'd have a wood burning furnace in the shop that has provisions to heat the normal water for showers and the fluid for the floor heat. As a back up for those days when you get home after being gone all weekend or whatever, I'd still have gas or electric available to heat both the water and fluid.
I dont think that would work to well in a shop. It takes a gas fired boiler quite a while to bring a floor up to temp. A wood stove would take even longer. Gas heat only way to go for a shop imo. I considered a wood stove for mine until I really thought about it. What about those times when your just going out there for a one hour project? It will take you an hour until the shop is to temp by the time it takes to build a fire and to warm the place up, and god forbid you open a big door lol. I can heat my shop up from my phone with a wifi tstat and its warm when I get home.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Didn't read any of the previous posts, but here are my recommendations:

House:
make sure to include a minimum of 2 outlets on every wall.
you can never have enough food storage, add a pantry or cellar
in floor heating is great for preventing cold floors, but don't rely on it as the sole source of heat, it gets really pricy in the cold of winter

Shop:
pre plan the layout and make sure the wall(s) you plan to put workbenches on have plenty of outlets.
add additional outlets to the celling and use cord reels instead of dragging extension cords all over the floor.
add multiple 220V outlets (minimum of 3)
minimum of 14' celling and include the reinforcement and proper foundation for adding a 2 post lift.
when wiring the lighting, add outlets on the wall that will allow you to mount fixtures at waist height.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Outdoor wood boiler with in floor in the house and gas furnace for backup, and ac.
Use a furnace in the shop with water to air heat exchanger off the top so your boiler can feed it, then it's gas backup (but only if you plan on heating fill time.) Otherwise just get a air handler with the heat exchanger on top.

·
Registered
582 Posts
More power. If you think 200 amp service will do, get 400 amp.

This might depend on your location but for me, central air in both house and shop are a must, also in-floor radiant heating in the shop with a lift.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Ethernet to building eves for security cams. Power by the fireplace to run insert fan.

I would like laundry room type area to have almost a shower type area, could wash dog, hang wet jackets, or some clothes we wash are better to hang dry. This place would let drips be contained.
I'm the design stages of my shop right now and doing exactly this. Someplace to wash dogs with a wall mount shower head for me as well. So easy to do initially.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Shop needs internet--bury a cable. In the same trench I'd probably run an air line--my wife and I have talked about the utility of that several times.

For the house, everyone has different needs. The main thing I'd say is make sure everything is focused on utility. Obvious, I know, but most people get it wrong. My kitchen is really a little cramped, but I have a freaking dining room. That's just a table to pile laundry in my house. Focus on what matters--for us on the next house, it is closet storage, a big kitchen with a big island, nice sized pantry like we have, a big living room, and that's pretty much it. Our master BR is bigger than it really needs to be. I wish our guest room had multiple closets, and probably a Murphy bed. That way it can be used for something the 99% of the time you don't have company. As it is, it's a queen bed, a single closet, a gun safe, and a rowing machine. Rowing in there feels very cramped. It seems like a fold-up bed would make that room much more usable.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
This might depend on your location but for me, central air in both house and shop are a must
Around here I wouldn't even consider insulating a personal garage/shop. It would just lead to more sweating when the temperature changes rapidly. A heated shop would be nice but is not in any way necessary in New England.

A waste oil furnace or wood stove is one thing but heating and cooling a shop you don't spend the majority of your working hours running a money making business out of is just pissing away money. Being a pussy is expensive :shaking:

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
I dont think that would work to well in a shop. It takes a gas fired boiler quite a while to bring a floor up to temp. A wood stove would take even longer. Gas heat only way to go for a shop imo. I considered a wood stove for mine until I really thought about it. What about those times when your just going out there for a one hour project? It will take you an hour until the shop is to temp by the time it takes to build a fire and to warm the place up, and god forbid you open a big door lol. I can heat my shop up from my phone with a wifi tstat and its warm when I get home.
Well the idea with the furnace is that you keep it going, but ya, floor heat is slow to warm up. I have a diesel torpedo heater that would probably be helpful for those real quick things. Not that you really need a warm shop when you're just going out for a bit. Never said it had to be the only heat anyway :flipoff2:

·
today
1,571 Posts
clear space basement, use metal I-beams, to carry your joists, no lally columns.

"bump out" foundation for mechanical room to save inside space
its only small upcharge for the concrete

run pex pipe in slab for future heated floor

·
Registered
932 Posts
One thing I want to do in my next house is a central wood fireplace that can radiate enough heat to keep the house from freezing. It would be a backup to natural gas forced air an would save a huge amount of headache if we were to get an extended power outage in the -35C weather we are having now.

Mud room with a door. Dogs can be closed in. Shitty or greasy coveralls hung. Boot racks and dryers. Laundry. The whole mud room built like a shower basin with a floor drain because your main floor laundry will eventually puke water all over the floor and its best if it isn't finding its way downstairs through your basement light fixtures.

Permanent provisions to blow out the sprinklers would be nice.. If blowing out sprinklers is a thing where you are. If you could run an airline to your basement manifold area it would be quick and easy to build with valves.

I also want to move my modular home off my 80 ac property and build a ~1000 sqft home with basement (maybe half a 2nd story?) where the current house is.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
If you can't have walk/roll in access to your basement build a bulkhead area with a flat floor and removable stairs so that you can easily install/remove furnace, milling machine, etc, etc. with a small portable gantry and a chain hoist. Machine tools last much longer in a cool dry basement than they do in a garage that's subject to temperature swings (especially an air conditioned garage) so if you do have walk in access to your basement strongly consider using that space for that sort of shop work.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts