Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my rear d-shaft is being retubed as we speak and after pulling the old Holley 600 CFM carb its painfully obvious it needs to be chucked into the bushes.

So what do I put back on my FJ40, I'm not sure where to start looking and I'm sure you guys have been through a carb or ten in your buildups.

HELP!!!!

engine specs:

Chevy 283 cubic inch V-8. It's bored .040" over stock and with 40 over 10.1 : 1 flat top pistons. It has 327 powerpack heads with an Edelbrock performer semi-high rise dual plane intake. The cam is an Ultradyn 284 RV cam - 284 lift 410 duration - Accel HEI high voltage distributer.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I went to Auto Zone and got a Q-Jet from a misc. mid 70s 350 for around $125. It is a spread bore carb so if you have a square bore manifold you will need an adaptor but you can get one for around $12. Much cheaper and it has ran great with no adjustments.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Eskimo said:
q-jet...runs great at angles... mine's reversed (turned around 180), and runs even BETTER uphill now..
No kiddin'? I thought I was the only one to do that. Mine had to do with throttle cable choices, why is yours backwards?

I found the right cable and now it faces forward again.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Well, as you might know, the q-jet's primary jets are located at the very front of the float bowl.. on a steep uphill, the fuel goes to the rear of the bowl, and the carb is sucking air...

By turning mine around, I don't have that problem anymore, and if downhill is supposed to do the same thing, i guess I haven't noticed it yet.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Ballard said:

No kiddin'? I thought I was the only one to do that. Mine had to do with throttle cable choices, why is yours backwards?
I found the right cable and now it faces forward again.
******* EFI!! Backwards Q-jet works great. Backwards you can stand your rig vertical and it will still run. Going down you don't notice when you suck the bowl dry a bit.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Well i am in the same boat. My FJ-40 has had a Chevy 350 swapped in and the smart guy who owned the cruiser before me put silicone in the gas tank to keep it from leaking and ofcoarse gas eats through sillicone and some got into the carb. and in the fuel lines. I had to take the gas tank out and have it steam cleaned and now i need a new carb. :mad: It had a holley but i am up for a change. Am i hearing correctly that u put on a q-jet backwords and it works better????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.