Pirate 4x4 banner

121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Two CJ's we did. You can see the shackle angles. Happy to zoom and cut if you need it?

Both jeeps ride really well and have YJ springs in the rear, with SJ springs in the front.

My wife liked the rims on the orange one... don't judge.
Found something on leaf spring shackles that looked pretty informative...

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/845026-leaf-spring-shackle-basics.html

I'm liking that the rear facing angles may give me a softer spring rate if I leave them be as is. The eyes were moved one hole rearward in the frame, so I do have the ability to move them back forward, but this gives me a good excuse to try it out as is first...

Waiting on a friend who has set up gears before to help me on the axle, so I haven't started putting that back together yet, but I have started in cleaning, and tearing down the new tub...

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,733 Posts
Found something on leaf spring shackles that looked pretty informative...

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-hardcore-tech/845026-leaf-spring-shackle-basics.html

I'm liking that the rear facing angles may give me a softer spring rate if I leave them be as is. The eyes were moved one hole rearward in the frame, so I do have the ability to move them back forward, but this gives me a good excuse to try it out as is first...

Waiting on a friend who has set up gears before to help me on the axle, so I haven't started putting that back together yet, but I have started in cleaning, and tearing down the new tub...
Yep, I thought of that when I posted.

Your shackle will not reset the way that it is. It will compress and lock.

Pick up one of your tires in back and watch what happens when it's on the engine crane.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Yep, I thought of that when I posted.

Your shackle will not reset the way that it is. It will compress and lock.

Pick up one of your tires in back and watch what happens when it's on the engine crane.
Can't right now, the axles are out of it to be rebuilt... Something to look at for later. School's out, wife's a teacher's aid, so we're down a check for the summer, probably be Oct at the earliest before I get the axles done, and back in...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Well, still waiting... A friend who has set up gears before is going to show me how to do it, but he's been working a lot of hrs these days, so the axles hasn't been put back together as of yet. I have decided to spend some time working on the new tub. Looked real nice online... Looked good when I went to pick it up too.

Now keep in mind, when I say "good" I mean "not rusted all to hell". It was, however, used as a mud toy. An open top... mud toy. Yeah, it's gonna take some cleaning...

This thing has so much mud in it, I was finding mud inside the windshield frame all around the wiper arms... In fact, I found 2 Bic lighters in there, and one still worked.

On the plus side, the tub has been bed lined, so it's in good shape for the most part.

Oh, by the way, I also had to fix the trailer too. Got home with the tub, and discovered this... Lucky I made it home...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Next up. Lets see if I can make the old doors fit.

They do, sort of.

Bit of a gap at the front...

Not gonna be rain tight... Great, now I have to mess with those stupid star drive door hinge screws. Broke 2 bits so far...

I've used this old B&D Workmate as a portable work station, but it's not really the best solution. A bit too low, doesn't roll around, fluids soak in the top.

Found this cool steel table in the facebook classifieds that holds storage bins. It only came with 6 bins, but I had a bunch, so good deal for me.

This bad boy should come in real handy.

121 - 125 of 125 Posts