Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started building this jeep in late 2007. The plans were to use the drivetrain from my old SAS S10 in a trail Jeep that I bought for $300 and add some tube, leaf springs front and rear with a wheel base of 95 to 100"

Start.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This was kind of the first mock up... It was way too tall, the 700r4 was way too long, etc. I decided I would run a different trans and T case... NP435 and bronco 20. I used Novak's guide on adapting Chevy bellhousings to Ford transmissions. The Bronco 20 was fitted with Tera Low gears and modded for twin stick operation

Column, pedals, clutch master and booster from a CJ7

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Lowered the front with less leafs, shorter shackle, lifted the driveline, [email protected]"

Exhuast, AA headers, I had to mod the driver side to clear the slave cylinder

60# skid plate

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Corvette master

Ready to wheel!

Didn't make it too far, day 1

Next try, it went nice, overheated a lot, my Perma cool fan was undersized

Electric fan from a Mercedes... works well

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fall/Winter 2010 Rebuild/Redesign
-Lower ride height
-4 Link front
-Stak Transfer case/SM 420
-More reliable cooling system

SM420 from a 1950 GMC

1967 Input housing (with seal) and shaft mod

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Unhooked everything, and unbolted the cage

I was pretty surprised when I unbolted it, it held its shape, I thought for sure after the rollovers it would spring away from the mounts.

A couple of friends came over and helped me yank it out

Trimmed some fat

Cut out the front floor between the frame rails, to make it easier to fit the new drivetrain

In the garage, new tires mounted 1/23/11

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. I started this build a long time ago but decided to put it up here to possibly get some better input.

my current engine mount setup that I made myself. The bushing is from a Lincoln SA200 Welder. No issues but I have looked at a few mount setups using a round poly bushing and sleeve (like a shacke mount bushing). I would like to do something like this. I am pretty good with a tape measure and geometry, but any tricks to getting the engine where you want it when fabricating these style mounts?

Also I have just been working on tearing this thing down. I pulled off the front sheet metal and radiatior, and transmission and transfer case... very hardcore

STaK fitted up to the SM420

Also picked up a Miller TIG to do most (if not all) of the welding for this redesign of this rig. I do a lot of stick and MIG welding at work, TIG is more of a fun process.\

·
Registered
583 Posts
hey Owen its Cardinal, build threat is sweet, i like the upgrades so far, you will love those tires. t-case 2 for that matter, i am picking up my new meats sunday morning. what did you do with the old 20 t case? what ratio did you go with?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts