Next:
Fiberglass
Dually rear end
Deavers

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

I dropped the radiator at one point and ended up cracking the neck about 1/4 of the way around it. My 89 year old grandpa soldered it up for me. Pretty awesome.

first time hitting the road. This was 5 weeks from the time I drove it in the shop under 7.3 power

some new swag

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Sharp truck

Looks good with the cap

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
When I opened this thread, I could have sworn I have seen it before, Cummins and all. I watched the video to see the plate, yep CA plate, and Chico shittmier frame. :laughing:

I'm guessing you live somewhere near Chico?

Ever get an intercooler in it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I opened this thread, I could have sworn I have seen it before, Cummins and all. I watched the video to see the plate, yep CA plate, and Chico shittmier frame. :laughing:

I'm guessing you live somewhere near Chico?

Ever get an intercooler in it?
Thats nuts! Yea I live in Chico. I actually traded this thing for my old 2000 4Runner with a kid that lives in magalia less than a year ago. He didn't own it for very long I dont think. But I grew up in Chico.

Still no intercooler, I've been focusing on my race truck lately but it definitely needs an intercooler. EGTs are easily managed but Id like to crank it up a bit more. Needs more air before it gets anymore fuel.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice swap! Would you say it was worth it? How much did it cost you to do the conversion and what lift and wheels are you running? Has an aggressive look!

·
bobbing for fries
1,879 Posts
:smokin: Will watch the video later, our IT police blocked the youtube :(

How do you like the ZF5? Does it seem to work well with the Cummins?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice swap! Would you say it was worth it? How much did it cost you to do the conversion and what lift and wheels are you running? Has an aggressive look!
Totally worth it! This has become one of my favorite vehicles I've owned. That 7.3 was a big gay pile of crap. I've got waaay more power now, love the way it drives and sounds and can get over 20mpg if I keep my foot out of it. Got about 6k into the swap. Not sure on the lift, it came with the truck. 20x10 Moto metals are wheels

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:smokin: Will watch the video later, our IT police blocked the youtube :(

How do you like the ZF5? Does it seem to work well with the Cummins?

The video is pretty dorky and I screwed up the sound lol you've been warned

The ZF5 is ok. I wanted a zf6 but settled due to the cost. And the zf5s that came with the powerstrokes are actually pretty strong tho. Just can't speed shift them or you'll end up bending and breaking stuff. So I just shift it nicely and I don't plan on going over 350hp so it should be fine for my application as long as I'm nice to it.

·
bobbing for fries
1,879 Posts
The video is pretty dorky and I screwed up the sound lol you've been warned

The ZF5 is ok. I wanted a zf6 but settled due to the cost. And the zf5s that came with the powerstrokes are actually pretty strong tho. Just can't speed shift them or you'll end up bending and breaking stuff. So I just shift it nicely and I don't plan on going over 350hp so it should be fine for my application as long as I'm nice to it.
Mental note: Don't shift it quick. Thanks, good to know! Curious to know how it holds up long term.

I'm hearing mixed messages on this combo, but I already have the 5spd. . .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Curious to know how it holds up long term.

I'm hearing mixed messages on this combo, but I already have the 5spd. . .
That makes two of us. But I read a lot of mixed reviews as well. I wouldn't have ran a pre-powerstroke zf5 due to the low torque rating.

There seemed to be mixed reviews on every transmission so I just went with what I could find for a decent price. I was able to bolt my old tcase up to the zf5 which made it nice.

·
Registered
28,921 Posts
Don't know yet. It's all just sitting outside the shop. You want it?
maybe.

depends on the price, and I don't need the manifolds or pies, cause that shit won't fit.

so pretty much
turbo, and the intake manifold hat thingy and whatever wastegate it has if it's not the internal turbo one.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts