Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which of the 50million chinese made shitters are worth a damn? im still rocking the 2001 factory headlights that are yellow, cloudy, and dont light up a wall 2ft in front of me. in sure anything will be an improvement...but figured id ask here. Or you can tell me to F-off..:flipoff2:

·
blatant asshole
11,690 Posts
I cant figure out where/how to link from amazon.

I bought these for 1/2 the cost of localy sourced.

Lamps are nothing specail but they were cheap.

Fyi, aftermarkwt lamps are very univeral, but not neccassaraly(sp) drop in. The hi/low pin in the plugs dont always line up with every vehicle. There are internet posts about which pins you should place where.

There is a paper that vaugely explains that with the lamps but doesnt spell it out for the dodge. A bit of effort wth a tester and youll figure it out

Attachments

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
^ This and just run them off a relay so they are getting full battery voltage.

·
Registered
658 Posts
New oe's, wired through relays here. Burnt through 2 switches before going through relay's. I have the same done on my first gen. They are the best headlights I have had on a dodge.

I tried cleaning furst and it was not working on the old plastic/

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I bought some cheap clear lens aftermarket housings and then spent way more than I intended to at the Retrofit source to build a set of HID projectors for my 99. I think I ended up spending around $800 total by the time I was done. There's no comparison to the cloudy stock stuff though. Before I was leaving the high beams on all the time and using a 30" LED bar mounted about fog light height as highs. Now I rarely ever even turn the high beams on. Real HID projectors (not the drop-in conversion junk) are the way to go.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought some cheap clear lens aftermarket housings and then spent way more than I intended to at the Retrofit source to build a set of HID projectors for my 99. I think I ended up spending around $800 total by the time I was done. There's no comparison to the cloudy stock stuff though. Before I was leaving the high beams on all the time and using a 30" LED bar mounted about fog light height as highs. Now I rarely ever even turn the high beams on. Real HID projectors (not the drop-in conversion junk) are the way to go.
HID projectors are amazing coming from normal halogen lights, especially when they're super cloudy. DON'T JUST DROP IN HID BULBS INTO REFLECTOR HOUSINGS. I can't stand people who do that :mad3:

Light bars aren't a bad idea either. While you never should use them just as normal lights, they can be really nice if you live in a really rural area without much road lighting.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
HID projectors are amazing coming from normal halogen lights, especially when they're super cloudy. DON'T JUST DROP IN HID BULBS INTO REFLECTOR HOUSINGS. I can't stand people who do that :mad3:

Light bars aren't a bad idea either. While you never should use them just as normal lights, they can be really nice if you live in a really rural area without much road lighting.
Exactly. My wife's F150 came factory with HID projectors and it really made it obvious how bad my headlights were. Now mine are every bit as good as hers.

I have the light bar wired to a switch on the shifter so my hand was always near it. We also lived in a pretty rural area at the time so it worked well. I'd usually kill it as soon as I saw the lights of another car so I wouldn't be blinding them.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I did the same thing but I used a total of 4 morimoto bixenon H1s. 2 in each housing. Turns the night into day. I wanted to get some light bars for extra light off road but immediately changed my mind with these.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I went with headlights through these guys.

2nd Gen Dodge Ram HID Projector Retrofitted Headlamps

It took me years to finally order a set, the price holding me back. After I installed them and drover at night, I wouldn't hesitate spending the money again. I think it is well worth the money.

Photobucket is dead to me, but if you swipe right on the headlights I have a pic of a side by side difference of yellowed factory lights with the brightest bulbs I had, compared to the 55w HIDs I have now. All elements in the picture as far as surrounding light and time after sun down being exactly the same. I'm parked directly under a street light.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUcsTASls7E/?taken-by=_aaronmathew

·
Premium Member
168 Posts

...I wouldn't hesitate spending the money again.

The retro shop is a great website; Jeremy is a stand up guy that stands by his products (not pimping, just being honest). The products that come out of his business may not be the cheapest, but they are done correctly and work 100% as intended. Not some shit drop in HIDs that blind everyone on the road :smokin:

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I converted mine to the sport headlights. Much better light output on low beam. The brights still suck.
rewire them with relays so all 4 elements light in high beam mode. Stock only uses one filament in each bulb, and the bulbs each have 4 elements. You can wire them up to either go in in High beam mode or add a separate switch so you have the stock lo/high and super duper high. It does make a noticeable difference. I did this along with bypassing the fog light defeat with the high beams.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I used some LED retro fit bulbs I found on Amazon in my 3rd gen.
With all new lenses they worked awesome.

Don't forget to order the anti flicker pigtail or else your "lamp out" light will stay on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like the led bulbs... and for the cloudy, yellow lenses, wetsand them with 320 until all the oxidized plastic is gone, work up to 600 and then shoot (or have a friend shoot) them with good automotive clear coat... crystal clear for years... :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used some LED retro fit bulbs I found on Amazon in my 3rd gen.
With all new lenses they worked awesome.

Don't forget to order the anti flicker pigtail or else your "lamp out" light will stay on.
This is a 2nd gen. We do not need antiflicker harness'.

And leds do not belong in reflector housings. Stop being douche bags and blinding people with scattered light.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts

It took me years to finally order a set, the price holding me back. After I installed them and drover at night, I wouldn't hesitate spending the money again. I think it is well worth the money.

Photobucket is dead to me, but if you swipe right on the headlights I have a pic of a side by side difference of yellowed factory lights with the brightest bulbs I had, compared to the 55w HIDs I have now. All elements in the picture as far as surrounding light and time after sun down being exactly the same. I'm parked directly under a street light.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUcsTASls7E/?taken-by=_aaronmathew

These are pretty much what I built myself. After having done it that's not a bad deal at all for what you get. I'd buy those without a second thought if I needed another set.

Mine. Covered in bug guts and dirt right now but still work awesome.

Attachments

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,259 Posts
Any of you have parts lists? :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts