Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 84 FJ60 has several mods: RV grind cam, new tuned headers, Weber 38, etc. I installed a fuel pressure regulator a couple of weeks ago, and it will run great with no load on the engine, but when I accelerate especially on an incline it rides like a bucking bull. At first I thought the clutch was slipping or something, but I haven't had any problems until I put on the fuel pressure regulator. I tried dialing it up a couple of notches but no difference. Got any suggestions?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled off the fuel pressure regulator thinking that it might be the problem. It still runs rough. It will idle and rev ok, but once you put a load on the engine it keeps wanting to sputter and die. I might recheck the timing and or my valve clearance. Got any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Bucking under load is a classic sign of fuel starvation. The drill is check fuel flow: it should pump a cup in 15 seconds of cranking. If it is too low check all the parts back to the tank. Suspect bad pump, clogged fuel filter and junk in the tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
mine too

My setup is very similar to yours-6-1 headers, 38 Weber, and the fuel flow regulator. My cruiser does the sputtering/stalling when it is cold. I've been considering getting the fluid heat riser kit from man-a-fre. I'm not sure just how big of a difference this is going to make, nor am I sure about where it goes?. I called man-a-fre and they said it makes a huge difference in performance in cold climates. It's suppose to replace the stock heat riser that is lost when you install headers. Maybe with the climate your in it could make a difference. Anybody here ever use one?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
What about checking for a vacuum leak w/ a propane torch???

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Re: mine too

corytx said:
My setup is very similar to yours-6-1 headers, 38 Weber, and the fuel flow regulator. My cruiser does the sputtering/stalling when it is cold. I've been considering getting the fluid heat riser kit from man-a-fre. I'm not sure just how big of a difference this is going to make, nor am I sure about where it goes?. I called man-a-fre and they said it makes a huge difference in performance in cold climates. It's suppose to replace the stock heat riser that is lost when you install headers. Maybe with the climate your in it could make a difference. Anybody here ever use one?
The heat riser kit makes a huge difference in cold climates. As soon as fall would hit the cruiser with MAF steel headers would run like crap. I also, too, run an identical setup minus the RV cam. But I switched from the 38 to the 32/36 which seems t orun just as well but allowed me to go mudding all afternoon on a 1/4 tank :) Beforefarned though, it will work but is MAF quality, medium to poor. But 4 years later still doing well I suppose.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed the fuel filter, Then I got out my timing gun. Evidently the hold down for the distributor was slipping even though it was torqued down so the distributor rotated a little. I reset the timing, and crancked down on the retaining nut and she seems to be doing fine now.:D Oh did I mention I have another 60 on the way here? it's an 87 with an OME suspension lift, 33's, 5speed new interior etc etc. I will post pics when I get it in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts