Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done alot of searching on this site and gotten alot of direction. We purchased this about three months ago. Took some photo's along the way. 304 t18 dana 20 Dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear, spool and 4.56's with 35's. Added pwr steering and new m/c.
I have not taken new pics this week but I have built the new rear bumper, painted the dash and installed new guages. We were able to take it on a little test drive last weekend, did'nt feel to bad. Shocks and fender flares on order, build a skidplate and a little more plating and a front bumper and try it on some rocks. Whadda ya think?

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Now go back and search booger welds, steering, and D44 outers. :shaking:

Damn you Ian!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I like the palm trees.
i'm thinkin my build needs some palm tree's to.you know,spruce it up a bit.bet the fancy neighbors love the axle sittin out in the yard.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scout

NV scouter, I showed the original d30 and crappy steering. Also showed the new d44. It also has pass hi steer arm. So you see I have read and learned.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
perhaps a mix of both,you know,full effect!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
scout

The pitman arm was the one that came with the box. I figured it was a scout arm. The steering box shaft is center line with the centering pins on the springs. The angle is as close as I could get for the steering column. Putting the box farther out would have put the pitman arm farther than the steering arm. It seems to work well with new Flaming River Joints.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scout

These are the latest photos that we have. Front steering shot, and some poser flex shots.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
you're going to take some poor squirrel's eye out with those shackels. Either that or watch them rip those tabs off and wonder why you just lost 8" of suspension on one side :flipoff2:

Did you box the frame with that steering box plate you threw snot all over and called safe?

but back to the trees;

I really dislike palm trees, I like to have a nice evergreen or Russian Olive in my pictures on my Hardcore rig on a curb. But hey whatever you local mall has right? :homer:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scout

I dont remember saying it was ready to drive. Only Poser shots to try to get an idea on shok length. I dont have a forklift in my yard to lift it.Shackles are only flat pieces of steel to get ride height. Sliders for rear spring hangers. Ok, I am going to do that. Power steering plate has a plate on the back side sandwiching the frame. Sorry you dont like palms.:D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I dont remember saying it was ready to drive. Only Poser shots to try to get an idea on shok length. I dont have a forklift in my yard to lift it.Shackles are only flat pieces of steel to get ride height. Sliders for rear spring hangers. Ok, I am going to do that. Power steering plate has a plate on the back side sandwiching the frame. Sorry you dont like palms.:D
Ok being serious since you are a decent sport.

Spend a hour grinding your welds on that plate off and take it to a welder to do or it will break at some point. Also when you do make plates for the top and bottom of your frame also, since I'm guessing you didnt bother to run DOM through the frame and tie it into both plates. Your plates apear to be 3/8 instead of 1/4 so that will be OK. And if you think I'm wrong you are seriously underestimating the twisting forces on a 40 year old frame and booger welds.

Then have that same welder box up your front spring hangers and frame.

I use an engine hoist or a diversion ditch for suspension measurements. With the ditch I can get both axles moving in seperate dirrections so I get 2 measurements each posoure shot.

And fix your hood latch that wanabe jeep rubber band is hoopty.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scout

Ok, so are you saying to tie the rear spring hangers together? I am going to extend the frame in the front approx. 9 in for a winch. Would you also tie the front shackle hangers? I am sure my welds would be cleaner with a mig , but I am doing it old school, 6011. Gotta run. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Ok, so are you saying to tie the rear spring hangers together? I am going to extend the frame in the front approx. 9 in for a winch. Would you also tie the front shackle hangers? I am sure my welds would be cleaner with a mig , but I am doing it old school, 6011. Gotta run. Thanks for your help
It just looked like you were going to let those spring shackle mounts sit that way permanetly. Eventually they would collapse due to lake of support.

Will you also extend the wheelbase after the frame extension so you can be one of the cool kids?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts