Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess this is the best place of any to put some info about my build. If it's not the right spot please move it and flame on like the human torch haha

So lets begin with the story!

I bought my first ram back in 2010. She started as a daily driver and a partial show truck. Here she is in her prime.

Yes she was a very very nice truck. Absolutely loved her! But a couple years ago she got cancer :( Like all dodges it started in the fenders and then moved down to the doors. Being a poor college student I couldn't afford to keep her looking nice all the time. It was gonna take a few grand to get the truck back to the condition above. So idecided would buy a bigger truck and make this one a play toy. So that's when I went out and bought my cummins. I'm a Dodge guy through and through. I was raised on chevy and the blazer i had was junk. I had more problems out of that than I care to count. Anyway after my first time out as a trail truck i slid off the trail and wiped out the side in a treeline. So she is now a dedicated trail truck. So here she is now...

So on to the buildup!! So far this truck has been an absolute beast in stock form! I have out climbed some purpose built jeeps and several xj's. Wheeled with a little tacoma for a year that tried to get me stuck or out do me but everytime I match him turn for turn. I even match some of the 4 seater rzrs! Well in the last outing I finally messed up the trans. With a great watch this moment...

Yeah trans didn't like that too much. So the trans it out right now and is getting rebuilt. I stilll need to get a dust cover and a converter for it and I will be back on the trail. While the truck has been down I have been planning out mods and upgrades to be an even better wheeling machine. After seeing some of the truggy's on here I have decided that's what I want to do!

So here is what is slated at the moment. I have a 2 year build plan so far. Hoping all you wheeling experts will have some input and how to make this a great machine. So to start I am keeping driveline stock for now. I plan on breaking it at some point but hopefully I can get my axles and gears and all that done before I break too serious.

Build list:
Rebuild trans
Install rock sliders
fab cable lock system
pull bed
chop frame
shackle flip
weld rear end
build truggy bed/flatbed
relocate fuel tank
create rear bumper
create front bumper
create full exo
trans case doubler upgrade
axle upgrade D80 front and rear
new driveshafts
coil overs and 4 link
lockers front and rear
40's
gears
hydro steer

I know there are some things I'm missing help me out a lil But what do yall think so far??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did notice that browsing through so I thought I would breathe some life into it haha

I love seeing these big trucks out on the trail!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just finished installing the transmission back into the truck. My first ever transmission rebuild and things seem to have worked out. Truck runs and drives. But now have an oil pressure issue. Put in fresh oil while I put the trans in and now only has pressure when on the throttle. Thinking it could be the sending unit but not sure.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I will be following this thread. I was a Chevy guy, owned a 72 K5 (hence my username) among other GM's, but always told myself I would rock a Dodge. In 2005 I bought a 2001 Cummins. Since then I have wanted to build another truck. I always had visions of a CUCV on 40's, tapered font and rear. I like to be different, so in Dec I purchased a 1996 Ram 1500 short bed, cab and a half with a 5.9 V8. The truck is pretty amazing for having just turned 199k. I bought it with the intentions to throw 1 tons under it, link it up and some 40's. The more I drive it the more I want to wait. I have wheeled it a couple of times and you are right, its wheels pretty darn good, aside from the longer wheelbase being an issue. Plenty of power, decent suspension, I love it. This past weekend I did Slick Rock in Ca. Got some body damage but she wheeled great. Now im debating if its time to pull the trigger and build her up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts