Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 977 Posts

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided my old ride was in kinda rough shape so I decided to start all over from scratch. Plans are to pull all the goodies off the 89 and use them on the fresh 93 xtra cab I got for trading my buddy a dana 44 and a 9".
Goodies from the old rig that I still have or haven't traded yet:
-GM 14 bolt (actually a 13 bolt now)
-And a bunch of misc stuff that nobody cares about

Now for the new:
-Narrowed cab
-Exo
-HP Ford dana 60
-Flipped 4:1 dana 300
-4 link front and rear
-7mge supra motor

Changes as of Oct 2011:
-1uz-fe
-a340/Aw4 auto trans
-231/dana 300
-lots of new dents:D

Pics of the old rig:

Attachments

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started by narrowing the cab. I Just measured, found center and came out
3" on for a total of 6" to be removed and marked the lines w/ tape. Then built a framework out of 2x4s for the cab to slide on once cut. Cut it, pulled it together with ratchet straps, and tacked it all back together.

Attachments

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Code:
So we've all seen an ifs delete, so i'll skip the pics of the torch, sparks, grinder, and part where i set myself on fire and jump to the body mounts.

Since I narrowed the cab, none of the body mounts lined up so for the front I simply sribed the frame along the body mount centerline, cut them off and to size, and tacked them back on. As for the rears, I tried for a while to think of a clean way to do the mounts and this is what I came up with:

Attachments

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I went to slide the frame under the cab under the cab, and nothing lined up front to rear. Turns out the frame i got (the cab had a frame but had front end damage) was for a 2nd gen xtra cab and not a 3rd, oh well it was free. So out came the cut off wheel to do some frame streching. After leveling out the frame,I Cut the frame and used some 2x5 .250 square tube to strectch the frame. I then used some 1/4 plate for the bottom side that extended past the section of tubing all the while being flush with the bottom. Then, I fish plated the the inside using some 1/8 plate.

This is the only pic I got of this. Should of seen it though, I had 10 c-clamps going with a couple of ratchet straps, and a bunch of welded on jig work to keep it all square.

Attachments

·
O-ring Technologist
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
subscribed. i sure am interested to see how this turns out, it'll definately be one of a kind.
Thanks. But I'm not taking any credit for the narrowed toy cab idea. I saw this a while back:

Attachments

·
Registered
14,716 Posts
i still cant believe the old '89 wasn't good enough for you. that thing was sick.:smokin:
but whatever, i know this thing will turn out even better.

one of these days you'll have to teach me some of those auto cad skillz yo.:D

btw, RTA is building a narrowed rig at the moment too.:smokin:

now i want to sell my frame, cab and exo and build something cool or a buggy chassis. i want to be one of the cool kids too.:D

1 - 20 of 977 Posts