Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 4runner (1st gen). I have been concidering going with extended shackles as a cheap fix for my sagging ass. Just spent 3 hours going through 14 pages of threads after using the search and haven't found what I'm looking for:mad:

I would like to get at least 1.5-2" of lift in the rear, without doing any welding or changes to driveline or brake lines.

What make and length of extended shackle should I get? It sounds as though I should get one with the spacer in between the two pieces of metal (I have heard all pro are half decent, but don't know if they have this).

Finally I am looking for springs that won't cost an arm and a leg. I need something that I can use on trails(nothing too hardcore) and that will also be comfortable for regular highway driving, as this is also a daily driver and I don't need to have my wife bitch about the way it handles

Thanks
89 4runner, 89 and 92 tracker

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
So your asking what? What length shackle you need to get 1.5"-2" of lift? That would be on that is 3"-4" longer then stock.
Or are you asking what springs to get? Well, a pair of 2" lift springs. Or just an AAL. There are a million places you could go to get these things. Try your local 4x4 shop.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I agree with jesselt. From what I've heard the 4runners are known to squat in the rear after time. I would get some 2 inch lifted springs or add a leafs. I would think you might get a little better trail performance with 2" lifted springs,depending on which ones you went with. Going the add a leaf route would be the cheapest/easiest.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I would say go with a 2" add a leaf to solve your problem. They are cheap(around 40 bones) and easy to install. I put a 2" add a leaf on my dads 86 4runner and he says the ride is much better with the add a leaf. It doesnt sag anymore and the ride is not spongy like before.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We only have two 4x4 suppliers in my area. They have several catalogues, but most stuff is Chevy or Ford. I would like some brand names of extended shackles or link sites, so that I know which catalogues to look at, hopefully I can even see them on the web. I now know that I want a shackle that is 3-4" longer than stock.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
maybe you should check out 4x4wire, no offense but seems like the amount of 'hardcore wheeling' your gonna be doing would merely warrant a trip to shucks, autozone or kragen for a set of 3" blocks and longer ubolts...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Here's an add-a-leaf

Here's another one

My kids are always asking me to "help" them with their homework - what they really want is for me to do it for them.

Do some research at Summit, 4wheelparts.com and the various suspension websites like Rancho and Trailmaster.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Save up your pennies, call Alcan, tell them what you want, wait a few weeks, put them on, and be happy. If you want cheap, you could add a leaf or two from another stock spring pack chopped off a little on the bottom of the pack. Or what these guys already suggested.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a few searches with people running the skyjacker 4 " lift springs. No write ups though. These have all been trucks for sale. Any problems associated with these. Any mods need to be done? Thanks

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
you could also take the top and tailgate off like I did to get about a 2" lift.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gee aaron t, if I put it there are you actually going to answer my question? Or tell me to do a search?:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
If all you want to do is get the ass end up, i second the idea of an add-a-leaf. you dont sound like you want to go hardcore, it will work just fine. i'm happy with mine, but I'm a mud guy. going 4 link when I get $$$.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
metcalfr said:
Found a few searches with people running the skyjacker 4 " lift springs.
I had these, and they are great for a truck hauling bricks, but they sucked for offroad. They were VERY stiff. My allpro fronts would flex to full compression before those rears even began to flex.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts