Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I picked up a 2005 Unlimited, that was wrecked in the fronted. I ordered a new frame and picked it up yesterday. Today, I have spent a good part of the day cutting everything off of it. I have a RE LA kit that should have made it to me by this weekend, and a 5.3 laying here. The good part is my AA motor mount kit did make it, and it is now fitted up to the frame ready to weld.
I gotta say, taking a brand new frame, and basically cutting everything off of it, except the shock towers is alittle scarey.
My plans are:
5.3 motor
4l60 trans
atlas II case
4.5" RE LA kit
1" body lift.
35x12.50 BFG new style MT tires
The jeep has a dana 44 rearend, with disc brakes. I will probably use it for the time being and iron all of the bugs out.
I would like to find a ford dana 60 frontend, or look into a high-9 or currie 9" front. My current housing is tweaked, so I will be needing to make the frontend decision pretty quickly.
How much work to make the front ford 60 steering compatible?
I'll be posting some pics later on this project.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got some pics today (new camera for christmas!).

Got all of the mounts cut from the frame, and started sitting the 5.3 in. I'll weld them in on Monday. Also, decided to cut some metal hole plugs to fill all of the holes in the sides of the TJ frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,626 Posts
More pics! I love it! My old boss had a hemi powered Unlimited in that same color (don't know if he's sold it or what), and that thing was a BLAST!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my mounts welded today, and started filling the frame (alittle more work than I expected). Can't wait to lay the paint to it, hopefully tomorrow. I'm at home alone with 4 kids ages 1 - 10 this week, so time is alittle short. I found this jeep at daveysjeeps.com and it was about a 4 hour drive. I kinda wish now I would have scoured for a tub or something, as the more I do to this, the more I spend and scrap the original. I hope to upgrade rearends, and an kinda stuck between a currie high-9 and dana 60's. I would like to find a deal on used 60's, and put all the brackets on them myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What did the new frame run?

I paid $1700 from local dealer.
Running boards won't make it, already filled the holes on the side of the frame. Got some A2Z rocker guards for this bad boy! :smokin:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the frame notched for the AC pump. If you look at the white lines, I plan is to weld vertical braces up, and then drill the outside plate in all 3 places to weld them all together. Do you think this is neccessary? I used angle for the ends, and purposely left them short, as to connect with another brace to the inside and outside of frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the frame done today, and applied some good old rustoleum paint. I guess Jeep can't afford to paint a $2000 frame before selling it. I got the RE skid fitted, frame drilled, and skid bolted down. I also got the rearend pulled from the chassis jeep, and got it painted, so waiting on paint to dry, then will start with the rear suspension install. The tranny shop called, so I pick it up tomorrow (installed the AA shaft for the atlas) so plan is to install the motor/trans on Tuesday and wait for the atlas. In the mean time, plenty to do, like brake lines, fuel lines, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
you should also use the Aev highline fender kit on it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought about the AEV, but I am running a 4.5" lift, with 1" body lift, and only want to run 35" tires. I am running at AEV hood though.
Got alittle more done tonight, at least got the rear finished. Now to concentrate on the frontend. My delima seems to be with what front diff. I am going to run, and can afford. I bought an old TJ to use the D30 from it, but now thinking of turning it into a trail only rig. I have a guy from Jeepextreme where I bought my lift that will give me a HP dana30 housing, as I am ordering a 4.56 gears, ARB, and axles from him, so he said he'd just build that housing and ship it up, but it is the one with the lockout deal, and I think I've read where the tubes are alot weaker on those. Any input on this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
man that would be nice to work on all that stuff with no body to get in the way. I like the footprints on the belly pan too

·
Registered
791 Posts
I wouldnt spend that much on the Dana 30 if you ever plan to go bigger than 35's. Save up for a 9".

·
Registered
360 Posts
but it is the one with the lockout deal, and I think I've read where the tubes are alot weaker on those. Any input on this?
The vac. disconnect housings are weaker since the passenger side has 2 piece axle tube (the disco assem. has no tube in in it see pic below). Also depending on what year it is, it may not be machined to install a axle seal in the passenger side @ the carrier. Non-disco housings are pretty common and fairly cheap so I'd hold out and get one. Running a V8, i'd seriously consider passing on the 30 and just get a 44.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, looking now at 2 different Ford dana 60's for sale here. Although just about to pull the trigger and order a new Currie high 9 rearend, and keep my stock knuckles/brakes. I priced it, and not really any different in price by the time I pay for a used 60, then add brackets, axles, etc. etc.
Got the motor/trans/steering box mounted today.
Tomorrow plan is to pull the frontend out of the parts jeep I bought, to get this rolling.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
if you go with the currie 9" make sure to get the big spline housing and bearing.
from my understanding they use two types of seals depending on their suppliers.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts