Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well dented up my rear d-shaft wheeling, so i pulled it and drove home in 4x4....about half way home at 70mph, my CV shaft let loose, took out the idler gear in the t-case, knocked a hole in the side of the tranny, dented the floor board like carzy and sheard my pinion off :( let the pics describe the horror..

not exactly sure what i am going to do next, but i am defiantly broken....

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
brimy311 said:
Not exactly sure what i am going to do next, but i am defiantly broken....
Well, you can:
1) Get a spare driveshaft next time.
2) Buy a tow rig.

That really, really sucks. Bummer...

·
Not a newbie!
766 Posts
same thing happened to me, except I was towing mine with the chevy. My 82 was on a car dolly when it decided to jump into gear with the transfer case in 4 wheel drive and the front hubs locked. I was more excited that the yota didnt run my chevy over but the front shaft did knock the transfer case loose and put a couple holes and cracks in the tranny not to mention dented the cab, the frame and ripped my fuel and brake lines in half. none of the wiring for the tranny made it through either.

All I did was put new lines, tightened the bolts on the transfer case, and JB welded the holes shut. Still running today (well not exactly, don't have that EFI conversion done yet). It grinds a little but she still drives :)

Ed

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
brimy311 said:
....about half way home at 70mph...
Duh.:rolleyes: How long did you really think it would last at that speed??

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Spider sez:
same thing happened to me, except I was towing mine with the chevy. My 82 was on a car dolly when it decided to jump into gear with the transfer case in 4 wheel drive and the front hubs locked. I was more excited that the yota didnt run my chevy over but the front shaft did knock the transfer case loose and put a couple holes and cracks in the tranny not to mention dented the cab, the frame and ripped my fuel and brake lines in half. none of the wiring for the tranny made it through either.
Spider, that makes absolutely no sense to me. The back tires were on the ground and you had it in 4WD with the hubs locked? :confused:

You do realize that you need to pull the rear driveshaft in a Toy when flat towing or using a dolly, right? THat would have prevented your problem, but it created brimy's. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
brimy311 said:
about half way home at 70mph,

I really hate to hear that your busted.:(

70MPH in front wheel drive:eek: :eek: I don't really think thats a good idea,but I understand your situation. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
brimy311 said:

not exactly sure what i am going to do next,
uh maybe fix it. :rolleyes:

what in the world made you think every thing was gonna be ok driving at 70 in front wheel drive?

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
RightPedal said:

Spider, that makes absolutely no sense to me. The back tires were on the ground and you had it in 4WD with the hubs locked? :confused:

You do realize that you need to pull the rear driveshaft in a Toy when flat towing or using a dolly, right? THat would have prevented your problem, but it created brimy's. :flipoff2:
i think he was driving it in 4wd with the rear shaft removed:confused: i know a few people who have had to do that, but they snailed home in the slow lane....seabass has, if my mind is workin right...

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
70 mph in FWD !!!!!!!!! BAD IDEA

Hey it could of been worse, a LOT worse. That front shaft could of let go and jambed into the ground at 70 mph and rolled your ass down the road. I would say you ar very lucky that you didn't run into anyone or anything else and your still breathing.

I pretzeled my rear driveline once and then while limbing home in front wheel drive (45 mph max for me) I busted a birf on the pavement (my fault - too much gas). So I had to swap my square front shaft to the rear and drive home on that at 40 mph. Better to go slow and get home than not get home at all.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
:eek: last week my rear cv at the tcase grenaded on the interstate. (the zerk somehow came out and i lost all the grease) i drove home in front wheel drive with the rear shaft in the back of the runner. i only did like 20 tho. sorry you got flamed but my advice would be to not go 70 next time or not tell these guys you did:p

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no dual cases, i just installed my 4.7:1 gears, so i will just part another case together...

regardless of the speed, if the cv was in the rear, i believe the same thing woudl ahve happend, the centerng ball looked like it just destroyed itself.

i have driven my ol' jeep around for a week wihtout a rear shaft(it was my DD i had no real choice) so i figured i coudl get away with it just to get home....but i guess luck was not on my side

·
Not a newbie!
766 Posts
Right pedal - A sure case of lazyness on my point :). It didn't pay off

Ed

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
:emb4: i actually meant u joint, i haven't built my cv rear shaft yet. technically the front shaft and tcase should handle 70 if set up close to stock and balanced well. it is the ring gear to worry about as i believe you are riding on the coast side? anyway never underestimate the power of jb weld. try it if you can, you may be beyond it.;)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
good thing ur floor boards aren't rusty.....:eek:

·
Man Child
24,725 Posts
Re: Re: my carnage pics :(

camo said:

what in the world made you think every thing was gonna be ok driving at 70 in front wheel drive?

Shit... I do 85mph in the mini van all the time in FWD... what's the big deal... :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Come awn--front drive or rear really makes no difference as long as the angles aren't to severe and if there is no vibration I'd guess the angles aren't that bad. I drove my Tow rig with factory full time 4wd for over 225,000 miles before converting to part time 4wd. Never threw a front shaft with 450HP--did throw a rear one shifting into 3rd at 90+ MPH at 6000RPM! Look at all the trucks over the years that don't have front locking hubs also.

Jason :)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Ummm...due to the angles of the front yota shaft especially if ya got any lift, 50mph is my max (with front cv) been there and done it several times. It was very interesting with a front lockright. I try to keep this at or below 45mph with a gentle right foot.

BTW, I currently don't run a front cv, therefore maybe 20mph limit on the street in front drive only mode.

Nice pics tho, thanks and good luck!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Damn dude tough break. I had to drive home in FWD with a square front driveshaft and a welded front diff a few months ago. I'd try putting up an ad on the wanted board for the parts you need. There's enough guys who've gone with duals and have half a case laying around. I'd give you mine but I already gave it away. Good luck
Travis

1 - 20 of 23 Posts