Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up pirate members? I have been reading and searching Pirate4x4 for a long time and actually registered in 2004 when I had to start paying to search. I don't post much (only about 15 posts in about 5 years), but search and read a lot. I wanted to post up some pics of my rig and see whether you guys have any constructive criticism for me. It's been a work in progress for a long time and I've torn the suspension down a couple times and am finally about satisfied with it for the most part. First I'll say things I would do differently. 60's and 40's for sure. Not a lot of money to spend at the time though. I used the cheap tractor joints, but they're holding up for now. I would use flex joints in the future. I have condidered changing the front four link to a three link with panhard to combat bumpsteer. But seeing as how its trail only, I'm not too concerned about it. Re-gear axles (granny first is the only thing saving my arse right now). I don't care too much about the rusted body, and fortunately the frame is in good shape. I will also scrap the front square driveshaft when money allows, but it works for now. Bead locks when money allows (I just don't air down too low). Rocker guards when I tie the cage to frame. Also need to upgrade to a real fuel cell (the lawnmower needs its gas can back!), bucket seat on passenger side and install harnesses...among other things I'm sure.

Jeep specs:

79 CJ-5
4.2 w/ junk yard TBI fuel injection (I'm not paying $1,200 when I can do it for $400)
Stock T-18 (my saving grace)
Stock Dana 20
Full width Dana 44's with 3.73 gears and lock-rights
Home made hydro assist
Six point cage-still need to tie into the frame
37 inch swampers
Stretched to 103' wheel base
Four link front with stock Rubi coils
Three link rear with upper wishbone with stock Rubi coils

As I said, I read and search a lot here, so I know how some people like to get the flame throwers out. So if you feel so inclined, then do your thing I guess, but I am looking for opinions and thoughts on the build to better my rig and I am more than willing to admit the things I need to change.

Thanks,
Charlie

Attachments

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couple more

I was stoked that nothing broke on my first few trips out and that it climbed most everything with ease (I'll admit I didn't get over the extemely steep obstacle-poser pic). I didn't want to get after it too bad on the first couple trips out and pop a shaft. More work to be done, but I appreciate your comments. And hopefully, the flamage isn't too bad. I wouldn't want to get pwned now would I! Hehe. If you flame me, I'll report you to the Internet!

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Trust Rusty: Trailer Rated????

Hey nice thread. Just one question i heard a rumor this thing wasn't even able to load on a trailer. Heard it broke the rear supports and cross member. Have you been able to fix these issues.........PWN:flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Don't tell me you flat towed that blue 5 behind the trailer!?!?Glad I wasn't near you!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Don't tell me you flat towed that blue 5 behind the trailer!?!?Glad I wasn't near you!!!

Nah, had to use it to push the trailer up that hill......

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
looks good man. from what I can see, i'd say lose the tractor toplinks for upper arms, get some good JJ's or heims, and good jam nuts. other than that, rock on.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, my buddy (hickengineering) towed my Jeep on his trailer and flat towed his blue 5 behind it. We were thinking of checking the New Mexico laws on this, and then decided we really didn't want to know. A cop passed by us in Farmington, NM and just gave us an odd look and kept going. :shaking: Who knows. Its worked twice now without trouble towing. I'm looking for a cheap tow rig for the future though, so we can lose the death trap. Although I do appreciate him towing me around :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And yes, I originally bent my rear crossmember while loading my Jeep on that trailer (a little hung over I might add). Wasn't even trailer rated!!! I think that problem has been solved with the new crossmember though. 2 x 3 x 1/4 inch wall. I've heard a rumor that the unboxed frame on old Blue keeps crackin'...even after welding...what's that all about:flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey nice thread. Just one question i heard a rumor this thing wasn't even able to load on a trailer. Heard it broke the rear supports and cross member. Have you been able to fix these issues.........PWN:flipoff2:

Wow, if that isn't white trash, I'll kiss your ass. Buy another tow rig and stop putting everyones life in danger, idiot. :shaking::shaking: Other than that, good looking jeep. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In all fairness, it isn't me towing that gypsy caravan, it's my buddy hickengineering. With that said, again, I appreciate him towing me, cause my Ford Festiva sure as hell ain't gonna get er done!:D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wow, if that isn't white trash, I'll kiss your ass. Buy another tow rig and stop putting everyones life in danger, idiot. :shaking::shaking: Other than that, good looking jeep. :flipoff2:
I am glad to see you think there is a diffrence between a truck pulling a fifth wheel camper with a jeep behind it and a flat bed with a jeep behind that. Plenty of people now using motor homes with ATV trailers and a boat all in tow. The max in colorado is 70' before you get into any issues legally.
Maybe you don't have the HP or balls to handle two trailers but its legal and not that big of a deal.:flipoff2: So yeah you can go ahead and kiss my ass thanks.

And before you ask me to prove it here is the laws for each state when towing multiple trailers and vehicles. http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Thats not only normal but actually----------NOTHING compared to some of the rez mobiles running around Farmington.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am glad to see you think there is a diffrence between a truck pulling a fifth wheel camper with a jeep behind it and a flat bed with a jeep behind that. Plenty of people now using motor homes with ATV trailers and a boat all in tow. The max in colorado is 70' before you get into any issues legally.
Maybe you don't have the HP or balls to handle two trailers but its legal and not that big of a deal.:flipoff2: So yeah you can go ahead and kiss my ass thanks.

And before you ask me to prove it here is the laws for each state when towing multiple trailers and vehicles. http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Woah, don't have a heart attack there buddy. On the first issue, I stand corrected, I don't see RVs towing two trailers much down here. However, on the second issue, I do have the HP, definetely not as much as your ram, but I've got it, I spend the money modifying my jeep, maybe you should do the same :flipoff2: Now back to the thread..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts