Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My custom built powder coated 8' 9" parts washer. pics

I don't think I posted this here before. I looked in my past threads and saw nothing so I will post it up. I built this so I could clean a complete axle housing. If you have ever cleaned an old greasy axle in your driveway with easy off oven cleaner you know how messy it gets. not to mention the rincing off with the garden hose flash rusts the cast iron inside and out. I HATE rust.

I bought a new 200 Gal. Deisel gas tank. The ends were dished inward. I cut them off flipped them over and rewelded them back on. Then I cut the tank in half long ways, then cut each half to the length I wanted. I then but welded the ends together. I used a 4" arched section out if the left over tank to over lap and back up the but weld. I also added a 12" arched section to add a double wall to where the axle center section would be in the tank so it would not dent as easy.

I welded a piece of angle as a tool/parts traugh on the front edge. Wired in electrical plugs, and a switch. Bought a tank for the solvent. I use solvent special ordered from Mc Masted Carr. It works AWESOME. I can let something soke and it will rince right off. I made "M" hat channel on our sheet metal brake to add support to the lids. I bent the leading edge and ends to add strength to the lids aswell. I could probably stand on the lids. I also added a removable center support inside for the inside edge of the lids. It can be removed to put something long inside. The lids have a piano hinge the full length of both lids. I powder coated it brite orange. What'cha think.

Some pics of the fab and after powder coat.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Nice!:smokin:

Ive been thinking about building a shop sink out of a 55 gallon barrel.

Youve inspired me to actually do it :grinpimp:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Very nice...... But how many axles do you have to clean??

IDASHO, BGreen made a sweet parts washer out of half of a 55 gallon drum that swings out from under his work bench, it might give you some ideas if you search for it..

·
Registered
363 Posts
That thing is freakin sweet.....nice attention to detail

I want to see it dirty!!

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, thats what I was thinking...
It looks like one of those projects that started off small, but ballooned into a 3 month $1000 project. :grinpimp:

I actually wanted to build it this big. It doubles as a great work bench too. I can't beat on it ofcourse but ther is allways tons of stuff on it. Ofcourse it makes it a PITA when I want to use it. Yeah I probably wont be doing axles all the time but when I need it, I got it. I actually offered to clean axle housing for 50 bucks an axle but never got any answers. I figured By the time a guy spent 3 to 4 hours of his time, and bought X amount of Gunk or easyoff oven cleaner or whatever one might use, then totally thrash his driveway with all the greas and grime. I figured 50 bucks was not bad at all. But like I said no takers. No big deal. Just means It will stay clean except for the ocasional use from me. Oh and 1K, not even close.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
VERY NICE!! Been an idea of mine as well but would never have a shop big enough to necesitate one.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
do you have a part number for the solvent from mcmaster? wish you were closer, i'd let you clean up my two axles for 100 bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do you have a part number for the solvent from mcmaster? wish you were closer, i'd let you clean up my two axles for 100 bucks.

I will have to look at the 5Gal can in a day or so. I'm closed up for the night. The stuff they have online and in their catalog has lanolin in it for rust prevention, cool but for painting or powdercoating I didnt the contamination issues even thought the powder coaters grit blast.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Wow that thing is unreal!!

What's going on in this pic:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=407378&stc=1&d=1228678770

Why is the solvent line T-d into that junction box??

x2 on paying $50 to have an axle properly cleaned out, I would pay it...

It's a secret, If I tell ya I have to kill ya. :smokin: We wired in a pressure switch, the pump is suposed to pump continuously, but I have a brush with a push button on and off so I can stop flow if I want. If you stop the flow and the pump still runs you can burn it up. Thats the reason for the pressure switch, it kicks the pump off if there no flow, once I hit the button, it kicks back on and flow continues immediately. The T juntion on the bottom is what reads the pressure. The line coming out of the tank and into the switch is the pump electrical cord wired into the box power. You can see the power cord coming out the right of the box, it plugs in at the recepticle so If I want to just unplug it I can. see pic just under the one you copied. The switch is my on/off, for that receptical only, the other two are allways live in that box, and ofcourse I have the four plugs at the other end.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice work on the parts washer. :beer:

What brand/model is that 20" sander in your garage?

It's a Conquest, made in Norwalk Ca. Has a Baldor motor. It's not as bad ass as an APEX but it kicks ass none the less. Paid 1500 brand new from J&L industrial.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts