Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 1089 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided it's time to post up. Been watching for a long time and decided I can handle the abuse. How bad could it be? So this is the truck I started with, '84 F250 with all the goody used up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was tired of replacing parts in my Dana 60 so I drug home a couple deuces. One was free and a runner but unfortunately could not be registered. I drove it around at the river a little then pulled the axles and sold the rest of the truck to a friend for parts. The second one was a basket case. Parked in the woods with no oil pan for well over 20 years. So pulled the axles and sold the rest for scrap.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started working on the axles back in 2011. At that point I was not taking a lot of pictures. I wanted rear steer and wheel brakes. I see lots of guys redrill the housings to make rear steer but I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the holes straight. So I cut down a rear and added the knuckles from one of the fronts. Accomplished the same thing with torches, a grinder, and a welder.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After lot's of time working on the rockwells I decided I wanted to go away from the leaf springs and do a four-link with coilovers. Then I decided if I'm gonna do all that I should just build my own frame rather than try to salvage my beat to hell stocker. And if I'm building my own frame I could use any body I want.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is an old engine i had from a parts truck that I was using for mock-up. The lower suspension mount for the front is going to be removable to help with future transmission and transfercase repairs. Body mounts are universal units from Energy Suspension and engine mounts and transmission and transfercase mount bushings are from Ballistic Fab.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was building for 49 inch Iroks but then I picked up four of these locally for 3 G's. Couldn't go wrong! Brand new 54 inch Boggers and 20 inch recentered military beadlocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
Should of kept the 84 body :flipoff2:

But looks like a cool build, sounds like a good deal on the boggers too
Is that last pic the expected ride height?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
i love the explorer cab choice. i have never seen anyone use that body style.

nice work too. cant wait to see more progress on this one.

·
Registered
11,277 Posts
I'm interested in what you're using for a rad. Got a sorta kinda project thing going on with a ranger and one of those motors' bastardized later brothers.

Keep on it and keep posting.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Love the body choice! very cool. Maybe I missed it what is the Dtrain? 6.9/C6?

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm interested in what you're using for a rad. Got a sorta kinda project thing going on with a ranger and one of those motors' bastardized later brothers.

Keep on it and keep posting.
I am using the stock radiator. There was no way it was gonna fit under the hood so its going behind the cab.

1 - 20 of 1089 Posts