Pirate 4x4 banner

841 - 860 of 1089 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
I feel like 10 seconds on that harness might have been excessive... On all the IDI's we had, even on a cold day, relay would only constant about 5 seconds, then pulse...but then again most of the rigs we had usually had a few bad plugs (running the cheap crap...:shaking:) and would short cycle anyway...
They claim 8-10 seconds max for the GP's on an IDI when using a push button.

I've heard that they are actually a 6v glow plug on a 12v system so they heat up faster.

Now on a powerstroke they are a true 12v plug and you can hold them for much longer cause they take longer to heat. (if you switch to a push button system that is)

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
You might consider aircraft wire for that. It's got a Teflon coating on it. If you short the wire, it can glow red and the Teflon falls off like loose spaghetti, but it doesn't start on fire. Of course the red glow wire could touch something else and start a blaze. Just a thought.

Do you have to use the plugs every time you start? I understand in the winter, but I never use em on my tractor in the summer and, like I said, the Cummins doesn't even have em. Of course north Florida winter is still for pussys.

·
Registered
11,780 Posts
They claim 8-10 seconds max for the GP's on an IDI when using a push button.
depends on the GPs
factory ones are 7v rated (wtf?)
you can get 12v rated ones

I've started running used bosch duraterm plugs from TDIs, they're constant duty and don't burn out even running the GPs when the engine's running. Still heat up quick.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Do you have to use the plugs every time you start? I understand in the winter, but I never use em on my tractor in the summer and, like I said, the Cummins doesn't even have em. Of course north Florida winter is still for pussys.
Sadly, the IDI's don't start for shit without a little heat in the pre-chamber.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
???????????????

if they have the right wire, you should be able to hold them on till they explode.

i am with 486....duraterms.

must have been a break in the wire with a direct short.

only thing worse then not having a extinguisher is an extinguisher that the fawking kids played with and dont work anymore....

yeah...been here and done this.

glad the ol beast is still ok and no one was hurt.

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
depends on the GPs

I've started running used bosch duraterm plugs from TDIs, they're constant duty and don't burn out even running the GPs when the engine's running. Still heat up quick.
Will look into it. Oddly enough this morning was the coldest morning we have had in a long time and my IDI didn't want to start. Guess I'll be getting a new set of glowplugs!

Also been really thinking of getting some intake air heaters for a Cummins and adding to some of our diesel engines to help them start a little easier in the winter.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
i have cooked my intake with my heat gun before and still it is not nearly as effective as the glowplugs in the idi compared to a direct injected application. simply the nature of the beast.

unless the engine is fresh and the pump and injectors are perfect in function and timing... the 6.x gm and 6.9/7.3 idi like their plugs in my experience once the temps dip below 50 at night..

·
Registered
16,139 Posts
That one looks a little short.

That's weird. Are those Bosch/Ford GP's?

The good news is they didn't swell - so they came right out!

·
Premium Member
8,792 Posts
That one looks a little short.

That's weird. Are those Bosch/Ford GP's?

The good news is they didn't swell - so they came right out!
This. Had a damn autolite in my 6.9 diesel that broke the tip off after fucking with it forever. Piece of shit. :mad3: And yes I know autolite glowplugs are pure garbage, but that's what was in it when I acquired it.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #852
Took the truck out and found that the front steering cylinder was moving around way to much. So I had to add some stops to keep it from moving around.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #853 (Edited)
Also got my new rear springs on. Truck sits much better now. And installed my new All German Motorsports dual rate sliders... bye bye coil bow. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Is that cylinder all smooth? Mine has two ribs that the clamps go in. (Same company)

In one pic, you have a fuel filter. Is it in the wheel well or is that camera angle. Wouldn't want a rock to come off your tire and bust it. Maybe a guard is in order.

That sucks about the boot. I can imagen that's a big job on those axles. Is there no "non tear down" fix?

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #856
Is that cylinder all smooth? Mine has two ribs that the clamps go in. (Same company)

In one pic, you have a fuel filter. Is it in the wheel well or is that camera angle. Wouldn't want a rock to come off your tire and bust it. Maybe a guard is in order.

That sucks about the boot. I can imagen that's a big job on those axles. Is there no "non tear down" fix?
Yes, I think that's the difference between the new style and the old style cylinders. These are pretty old.

Fuel filter is in the wheel well sort of, but it's behind the tire so it would be pretty tough for anything to hit it.

I could put a zippered boot on, but don't care for them. Have to pull the wheel, hub, brake, spindle, axle, and knuckle.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,139 Posts
depends on the GPs

Got a part number for those? I'm hoping to do a Powerstroke swap before needing to do GP's again, but you never know.

The best thing about the idi family engines is the fact that you can do all the injectors and glow plugs for half of what it costs for injectors only.

And they run forever.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
Got a few more little loose ends buttoned up on the truck. Finally got the rear heater vent installed. Also built this removable folding step to help those that need it getting in and out and started on some fire extinguisher mounts but have not finished them yet.

Attachments

841 - 860 of 1089 Posts